AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together some audio cables for my stereo system. I am going use Canare cables to make them.Â*Â*Â*

Canare offers two different type of cables for my purpose. One cable is a stranded wire center (LV-77S) and other is a solid core center (L-5CFB).

I have been told that stranded wire center (LV-77S) sounds better than a solid core center (L-5CFB). Is this true? Can anyone give an explanation why?

Thanks for any info,

Petshop

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Petshop,

You are asking for a, umm, spirited discussion between subjectivists and objectivists.

You don't mention what kind of system you have. My personal opinion is that any percieved differences between stranded and solid core wires usually require a well tweaked high-end system to be noticable.

Many people believe that these differences tend to be more psychological than physical.

I'd suggest chosing the cable type due to other considerations. For example, stranded core cables are much more flexible than solid core, but solid core cables are much easier to terminate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Selden,

I would not dare start a "spirited discussion" :rolleyes:. I just wanted to know if there would be a difference in audio. I know audio perceptions can be very subjective.

I would probably go with the stranded center, because of it's flexibility. I am receiving a new DVD player in a couple of days. The player will be stored with the Carver components.

Does it make a difference for video cables (stranded vs. solid)???

My system is a Carver Integrated Amp (105 W), Carver CD player, Carver tape deck, Carver tuner, and Martin Logan SL3 speakers.

The reason I am making my own cables is because I can't afford the high cost of the name brands cables. I know it would be cheaper for me to do it myself. I am going to take a shot at it. The stereo system is about fifteen feet away from the television and speakers.

Petshop

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Petshop,

I personally believe that there are other effects in most home video systems which will have a *much* larger effect on the quality of the video image than whether or not the cable center conductor is stranded. For what it's worth, most professionals ignore strandedness.

Some of these are (in no particular order)

1) using 75 Ohm cables and connectors (RCA pin-jack connectors are *not* 75 ohms)

2) using high quality cables with continuous shield coverage

3) calibrating the display device

4) the bandpass of the video switches

5) the quality of the chroma separation circuit when viewing composite video

6) "ground loops" (hum bars in the image)

7) electrical noise in the environment (see 2)

8) the quality of the source of the video signal

I'm sure there are others :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.