AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I recheck my levels to make sure there evertyhing is balanced to 75db. Well today I checked them and to my surprise the surround levels according to my spl meter were 4 to 5 db too low. After some trial and error I discovered that it was the THX setting that was causing the level increase. You see when I initially set up the channel levels for my receiver, it was in THX Cinema mode and everthing was balanced at 75db with the volume knob set at 0db. But when I rechecked the levels today my receiver was in THX Surr Ex mode. I noticed that when the volume knob was at 0db, the sound from the surrounds was much softer and the surround levels were reading around 71db. Does anybody know why this is? I thought that it didn't matter what mode you were in, but apparently it does. So do I need to turn off THX processing altogether and do my setup in Standard mode?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Ron,

I have no experience with this receiver but this might help: you are talking about two THX modes, Surround EX and Cinema. People on this forum are welcomed to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some automatic volume adjustement of 3dB applied in the Surround EX mode to compensate for the fact that the rear channels are played back by 1 or 2 extra speakers? This difference might correspond to the level difference you noticed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.