AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on this for several days, hoping its a easy fix and i just cant see it. To start i have had my HTPC for almost a year with no problems. Then i upgraded my OS from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Ultimate. then it seems that no matter what i do i can not get my HTPC to send anthing other then 2 channel Audio through the HDMI. Have always used Shark007 with no problems. When i look at the Device manager, the HDMI states only 2 channel now. Any adive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Did you do a fresh install, or just a Anytime upgrade? Try removing the device drivers for the sound card and/or video card, and pull the proper ones from either the device manufacturers website, or from the computer manufacturer, if you purchased it already pre-built through channels like Dell, HP/Compaq, etc.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll  /t/1416218/strange-audio-problem#post_22142224

Try removing the device drivers for the sound card and/or video card, and pull the proper ones from either the device manufacturers website, or from the computer manufacturer, if you purchased it already pre-built through channels like Dell, HP/Compaq, etc.
That's good advice. It's almost certainly a driver problem.

Use the Windows Control Panel / Sounds to test what formats can be played. No player will work until that works.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGLemieux  /t/1416218/strange-audio-problem/0_40#post_22142156

i can not get my HTPC to send anthing other then 2 channel Audio through the HDMI. Have always used Shark007 with no problems.

Rather than a strange problem, it is a very common one.

Codecs or filters have nothing to do with 2-channel audio.

That is a Windows global setting. You need to set the playback device correctly.

What is connected to the HTPC? AVR?

If so, is the AVR set to pass-through audio to the TV speakers?

If the passthrough is On, then the HTPC sees the audio chain extend up to the television and no matter what you do, it will see the two TV speakers and will only set the audio device at two channels.

The audio chain needs to stop at the AVR.

Also check if you have the latest drivers. Are you using AMD, Nvidia or Intel? All three have separate HDMI audio drivers, ensure that package installs the HDMI driver and Windows uses those and not generic ones from Microsoft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts