AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a strange audio question, 2 days ago I watched a movie and everything was great. Then yesterday no sound, checked all my settings and everything was normal. I noticed that If I lowered the audio stream to say ac3 it would work. When I go into my audio setting in my pc it won’t play anything more then the stock 16 bit 44000hz ?? If I put it back to the 24bit 192000 I get nothing but you can see it’s playing audio in the volume mixer. I’ve uninstalled an reinstalled all the drivers I can think of, I’ve even reinstalled windows. I’m lost, I finally get madvr set up and looking really good and now this

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
So, once again I had to put the pieces of the puzzle together by myself. Put the gear in the sig, people! ;)

Seems to me you're using two separate cables from your AMD video card, correct? One to the Samsung TV for video, and one to the (rather old) Pioneer receiver for audio. Is this a recent change or has it always been like this? You say it's just the lossless formats that don't play anymore, right? In the Windows audio settings, what does it say under supported formats? Have you tried a stand-alone player like MPC-HC with bit-streaming and exclusive mode enabled?

Reactions: Aceman2101

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, once again I had to put the pieces of the puzzle together by myself. Put the gear in the sig, people! ;)

Seems to me you're using two separate cables from your AMD video card, correct? One to the Samsung TV for video, and one to the (rather old) Pioneer receiver for audio. Is this a recent change or has it always been like this? You say it's just the lossless formats that don't play anymore, right? In the Windows audio settings, what does it say under supported formats? Have you tried a stand-alone player like MPC-HC with bit-streaming and exclusive mode enabled?
Sorry, I run a ryzen 5 2600, sapphire nitro + rx580 and 16gb ram. For a avr it’s a pioneer elite vsx23thx.

This is they was it’s always been set up and it has all worked until a few days ago. It’s the whole pc that won’t play anything past the 16bit 44000hz. I normally have it set too 24bit 192000hz. If I leave it at 24/192 and open the volume mixer I can see that it’s playing just no sound.

I’ve uninstalled reinstalled every driver I can think of an even did a fresh install of my os. I’m pretty sure it’s not the avr since I can watch from other sources and have audio.

Could it possible be the gpu is going bad ??

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You didn't answer any of my questions or confirm my assumptions...

Take a screenshot of "Supported Formats" in the Windows audio settings, please. I'm just curious what's listed there for your receiver. Could be an HDMI handshake issue, for all we know. Might be worth swapping cables and/or unplugging everything for a bit, just in case. Could also be that after driver installs/updates your default audio output was changed, in Windows and the player, possibly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't answer any of my questions or confirm my assumptions...

Take a screenshot of "Supported Formats" in the Windows audio settings, please. I'm just curious what's listed there for your receiver. Could be an HDMI handshake issue, for all we know. Might be worth swapping cables and/or unplugging everything for a bit, just in case. Could also be that after driver installs/updates your default audio output was changed, in Windows and the player, possibly.

I’ve swapped out 3 cables and have tried pretty much every port on my avr and gpu

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OK, the Pioneer is set as the default Windows output device, and everything else looks good. You can see in the screenshot that the Samsung is also listed as an output device. Is it possible that that is being used instead of the receiver when you're having trouble with the lossless formats?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m sure it’s possible, it’s alway been like that but I’ll try and disable the Samsung one and see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts