AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got done watching Goodfellas I noticed at 2:00:38 (That is 2 Hours and 38 seconds in to the film) when the Babysitter is taking the airline tickets out of her pocketbook, they have placed a black bar over the name of the tickets.

Can anyone else confirm their copy of Goodfellas has this issue? I do not seem to remember my DVD of this blacking the name of the airline out.

~Josh

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresy /forum/post/0

The DVD has the same black bar (it looks like an American Airlines ticket sleeve; maybe they didn't like being associated with flying drug runners around.)

That is so strange that I never noticed this. I had the Collector's Edition on DVD and I have watched this probably 10+ times and I never noticed it.

By the way this is a very nice Blu-ray in terms of both PQ and AQ. I highly recommend it.

~Josh

·
Registered
29,545 Posts
The airline ticket has been blacked out in every home video edition of the movie. I believe it was that way during the theatrical release as well.

Yes, the airline complained about the use of their name, and this was in the days before such things could be easily digitally altered.

·
Premium Member
24,267 Posts
I think it is funny. reminds me of the days when they tried to avoid using real money in movies...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj41 /forum/post/0

A quick question: Since this is in 1.78:1 aspect ratio, does this mean there are black bars at the sides on a 16:9 HDTV?

No, it means it will fill your entire screen with no bars. When I talk about a "strange black bar" in the OP I am talking about how the director blocked-out the name of the aitline on the airline tickets using a black bar.

~Josh

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj41 /forum/post/0

Hmm I thought 1.85:1 was full screen for 16:9. Corpse Bride looks to be full screen

Well, technically 1.85:1 will have very small black bars on top and bottom, but some studios (including Warner) open the mattes a little and frame them at 1.78:1 which fits a 16x9 screen. It's a very slight difference and nothing to get worked up about. If your display has overscan you probably won't even see the difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 anyway.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Yeah, the scratch that runs right through the middle of one of the scenes could be eliminated with a little digital tweaking.

Dan

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hehe, yes i have noticed the black bar over the ticket yesterday as well, nothing to worry about.

The PQ is ok, unfortunately WB hasnt remastered Goodfellas, you cann see a lot of dirt or stripes but its definitely better than the DVD, the AQ is exactly the same like the DVD, for thismovie: it doesnt matter, there much dialog going on, not many actionscenes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.