AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new, strange problem. I have 3 Sony boxes and only one exhibits the behavior. On only a few stations, a black rectangle appears at the lower part of the screen and is about half as wide as the screen and is about half as wide as it is tall. If I switch stations, the rectangle stays for a while then goes away. Also, if I adjust the volume, while the volume display is visible, the screen looks normal. Also, if I turn on PIP and the station in question is the small window, there is no black box in the window. I have tried unplugging the machine and rebooting, but the problem remains. My first reaction was that the problem was in the TV, but that makes no sense because I'm using A/V input and the TV has no idea when I change stations. The whole thing makes no sense. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you are willing to "restore" the Sony to it's "out of the box" condition... You could try 2355 2355 and see if the behavior goes away.

I haven't seen this "black box" behavior but I did have a "ghost" image problem (snap shot of a previously recorded/deleted program) that only went away after a 2355 2355 code.

Remember that 2355 2355 will start you at square one again... MY SHOWS will be deleted and any upcoming recording settings will be gone. You'll have the UTV OS like it would be if the UTV was new... You might need to refresh/wait for Locals to load too.

Good luck,

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think the acid test is hooking up a second tv. If you can repeat the problem easily, that's the way to go.

You could also try hooking up to the other outputs on the utv (s-video, rca-jack-video, channel 3/4). I think there's 2 rca-jack yellow video outs, and one s-vid, all alive at the same time. However, I've never used the antenna out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket /forum/post/14404179

I think the acid test is hooking up a second tv. If you can repeat the problem easily, that's the way to go.

You could also try hooking up to the other outputs on the utv (s-video, rca-jack-video, channel 3/4). There are 2 rca-jack yellow video outs, and one s-vid, all alive at the same time. However, I've never used the antenna out.

I agree... Process of elimination. Another TV/Monitor... If you're using RCA jacks you've got a "backup" output set so that is an quick/easy option. If you've got other cables just to make sure it isn't some kind of interference.

I'd like to think it's the UTV's Channel Buffer (approx 2 hours). Have you tried "recording" (VCR/UTV/DVD/etc.) this behavior? Does the behavior show on both Recorded and LIVE viewings?

Another option to rule out your TV... If it's an "onscreen" model that offers various menu settings... is it possible to "restore" or default the TV's settings to rule out any (as previously mentioned) CC or odd display functions?

If you've ruled out all hardware except the UTV then ruled out the UTV's software (via 2355 2355) then it's likely either an issue with the "stations" that this happens on (maybe the SAT transponder signal is weak) or some issue with the UTV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel a little silly. There was a caption option set on the TV that can only be set via the TV remote, which I never use. One option is the normal closed captioning and another is called text. (teletext???) The text option was set. The remote was on the table and my best guess is that the cat walked across it and set it. If you do something stupid, it is always best to blame the cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts