AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

UPDATED TO CORRECT PREVIOUS INFO (HDMI ARC is connected, not optical)

Picked up the LG 60PN5700 TV in October 2013. GREAT TV.

Strange issue that I just figured out (but don't know why it is happening).

We will be watching a show on our LG 60PN5700 Plasma TV and suddenly the picture blacks out for a second or two. (maybe 1.5 seconds). It comes right back. The sound and video both go dead.

Finally we realized that it is only when the Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver is turned on that this happens. We are using ARC to connect via HDMI, and we know it is working, because the TV is sending its audio to the receiver, and whenever we control the TV volume, it directly adjusts the receiver volume.

Any idea why he Stereo receiver could cause the TV to black out because of ARC?

And it seems it only happens on certain modes. If we are watching NetFlix through the TV (from the TV's wired Internet connection), it does not happen. It seems only to happen on the DirecTV (connected via HDMI to the TV) and the Apple TV (which is connected by HDMI THROUGH the Onkyo). It seems that when there is ARC through the Stereo or another HDMI that it happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Michael LeBlanc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I contacted LG for help on this issue. Explaining the problems all by web (opening a ticket on their site), the response (a day or two later) was that I needed to contact a local service shop (they gave me 3 options in my area). They came out a couple days later and took the unit, telling me it was the main board that had to be replaced (which was free - still under warranty). I am hoping when I get it back all will be better on the HDMI blackouts I was having. I will post again with the final result.

It SEEMS it is not an issue with my Onkyo.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Michael, I know you say it's not an issue with your receiver I would argue that it is. I've had some pretty sour luck with recent Onkyo receivers doing exactly what you've described. The HDMI output from the receiver tends to go bad and leads to a black screen, either sporadically or entirely and requires a full reset of the receiver . If you google around looking at Onkyo receiver problems, the HDMI output dying is a common issue (sadly).  Just curious as to what makes you rule out the receiver as the issue. If possible I'd try the receiver on another TV to definitely rule it out (you may have already done that, sorry if I'm giving less than helpful info)

Hope you can get this sorted out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts