AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started this thread just because I can't seem to find much information in the Samsung owner's thread and when people ask about the issue is seems to get buried among other posts in the topic.

I've got a new 46" 4665F that I've had for just a little over a week now. I notice that when I turn on the TV and turn it off there are intermittent clicking sounds that come from the TV for a minute or so after turning it on/off. It's not a sound coming from the speakers. Some people have talked about clicking sounds that are sometimes due to expansion and contraction as the set heats up or cools down. I understand that and have experienced this sound with other TVs, but I don't think that's the issue in this case.

I just found a random cnet forum post from a couple years ago that sometimes the clicking is due to various power relays in the TV being triggered, which then makes the clicking sound. It was advised that making sure the TV is plugged into a socket that has its own breaker could help provide the appropriate amperage to the TV (or something like that anyway) and eliminate the issue. I plugged the TV into its own outlet yesterday and it seemed the problem had stopped. Today I noticed it again.

Is this normal? I'm hesitant to return/exchange anything just because I don't have a means to transport TVs around and I know the B&M store I bought it at isn't going to just come in and swap out the TV. Should I be calling Samsung to have a tech look at it? I'm really excited about this TV and I just want to make sure that there aren't any serious problems with it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you checked the thread about your tv and don't find the clicking to be a common or easily adjusted issue, you should call the B&M store where you bought it, tell them it's defective and you want them to deliver a new one and swap it out. If they refuse, you should get someone to help you return it and buy another one somewhere else. Odd noises never portend good things going forward.

It seems as you bought your tv locally and paid more than an online price, you expected this type of return option, for the extra money you spent.

Just my opinion, but that's what I would do.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I got a very good price on my set. Very comparable and less than several online dealers.

In any case, I guess I'll check with circuit city and see what they can do to help.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickeleye /forum/post/12895607

Actually I got a very good price on my set. Very comparable and less than several online dealers.

In any case, I guess I'll check with circuit city and see what they can do to help.

Sorry to hear this man I'm having the same problem. I called Samsung last night and they said they would send a tech out, when I told them I still had the recipt and was within the return policy they said to take it back.

Also are you unhappy with your current picture quality? What is your firmware? The reason I ask is because you are the 4th person (including me) to purchase this TV and we are all having the same problems. So it may be the current version we have.

Good luck, I'm taking mine back tonight. I get to drive 80 miles home from work then another 60 to a store that actually has it since CC wont order me one then allow me to exchange once it arrives. They require me to give it to them before they order another.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumite /forum/post/12895731

Sorry to hear this man I'm having the same problem. I called Samsung last night and they said they would send a tech out, when I told them I still had the recipt and was within the return policy they said to take it back.

Also are you unhappy with your current picture quality? What is your firmware? The reason I ask is because you are the 4th person (including me) to purchase this TV and we are all having the same problems. So it may be the current version we have.

Good luck, I'm taking mine back tonight. I get to drive 80 miles home from work then another 60 to a store that actually has it since CC wont order me one then allow me to exchange once it arrives. They require me to give it to them before they order another.

Well, I'll go by my circuit city on the way home from work and see what they'll do for me. I don't have a large vehicle so transporting the TV is kind of a pain. I may have to see if my parents that live nearby will help out with their truck one day if they force me to bring the TV in for exchange.

I'm not unhappy with the PQ. I did notice some clouding, but when I turned the power level down to low it helped a lot. Unfortunately I don't know my board version, but I think the software is the 1007 revision.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got Circuit City delivering a replacement on Saturday. We'll see if a new set fixes this issue. Hopefully I won't get one with a bad board in it either .....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually decided to cancel the delivery replacement for today. I figured I'd call Samsung first to see what they say. The lady I spoke with said this is normal, but who knows. Then she said, "but if it starts to get ridiculously loud or long" to give them a call to see about sending out a service technician... whatever that means.

So at this point I'm considering whether or not to keep with the Samsung or possibly go with a Sony 46" W3000 for about $300 more. Not sure if that extra money would even make any sense as far as a better quality unit or if it would just be wasted money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a new 4665 too and it also clicks a bit when you shut it off. It does sound electrical and not mechanical (i.e. not heat/expansion) but I can't be 100% on that.

It doesn't really concern me too much though as a) I've heard many people on these forums say the same thing, b) it doesn't affect my viewing pleasure and c) I've got a 4-year warranty on it.

If it breaks (from problems related to the clicking or anything any other cause) then I'll get it repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 4066 and it clicks for a little bit when I turn it on and off. I have exchanged this TV multiple times due to this issue and they all made the same noise. I searched the threads and found that other people have reported similar noises with other brands. Interestingly, I have a 5265 (located in a different room) that does not make this noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts