AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small but annoying problem. I have my Sony DSS receiver connected to a ChannelPlus 5545 modulator.

Occasionally, the video portion will drop out, while the audio is always ok.

If I jiggle the video out RCA jack connected to the DSS receiver, it corrects the problem.

The connection is solid, the cables are good and the cables and the receiver are very securely mounted - no possibility for movement. Jacks and inputs outputs are clean, as well. Modulator seems perfect as well.

Any ideas? The DSS receiver is on most of the time, so I don't think its an on/off or heat up problem...:confused:

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Not sure how often "occasionally" is but here's a suggestion for tracking down the problem. Try using a different input to the modulator such as a VCR tuner. This will determine if the problem is the modulator or the DSS receiver. Alternatively you could split the connection into two. Run one directly to a monitor or TV Composite in and the other to the modulator. That way when the signal cuts out you can look at the other monitor and if the signal is there you have a modulator problem. If it is not you have DSS receiver problem. You may have some slight degradation of the signal due to the loading of having two devices in parallel but that shouldn't affect the test you are trying to run.

..Doyle

· Registered
3,991 Posts
The 5545 is a 4 channel modulator, so let's assume for argument's sake that your DSS is attached to channel 1.

Along the lines of what Doyle suggests, I would:

Test #1

Using the SAME cable, move the DSS to channel 2. And your Channel 2 device to Channel1. Does the problem follow to channel 2 or does Channel 1 still exhibit the behavior. If it follows, then either the DSS is the problem or the cable (try test 2). If it doesn't then either the input port on the modulator is defective or the channel selection is the problem. Try assigning a different channel.

Test #2

Keep the DSS on channel 1, but swap cables between the DSS and device #2. If the problem stays on channel 1, then again either the input port is bad, channel selection is bad or the DSS is bad. If the problem moves to channel 2 then the cable is bad.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did robertmee's test and its def. the DSS. I don't understand, however, how a stationary, stable device can all of a sudden develope a bad connection that requires "jiggling" to correct (or, in the old days, hitting it with a hammer. I had a '74 Grand Prix that wouldn't start unless I hit the starter with a hammer). Its an OLD receiver. I want to replace it with a new Series 2 DirecTivo tuner...Any suggestions? (OT)

· Registered
3,991 Posts
Depending on how hard you are 'wiggling' you might be closing a broken/weak solder connection on the inside of the RCA jack. The intermittent behavior may be caused by vibration or heat expansion.

· Registered
147 Posts
Just a long shot, but try connecting the chassis of two devices together with a ground wire. I have fixed some annoying buzzes that way. I know the cables have a ground, etc. but sometimes this works.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
robertmee, you are probably right, Im gonna open her up tonight (the receiver, i mean )

gsjmia, you have a great point. Grounding the chassis of all the equipment is a great idea and should be done. Speaking of that, I picked up one of those soft cover books at Barnes and Noble about Home Electrical wiring. An interesting topic was grounding stuff to the cold water pipe (not the vent stacks). I knew that, but I didnt realize you need a jumper over the pressure valve in order to get a true earth ground. After inspection, I saw my valve was, indeed, non-metalic and I was not getting a true ground. Just thought Id throw that in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.