I finally decided to upgrade my HTPC video card to support HDMI. Currently I am running a SVGA cable to my ceiling mounted projector, it looks good but from I read there should be a noted improvement upgrading to HDMI.
Here is how things unfolded.
- Installed new video card (1 Gb HD5450) in my silverstone HTPC (running a AMD quad Core 6Gb ram)
- Connected the new HDMI video cable from the video card to projector and booted up.
- PC booted and displayed a 640X480 image, so I started to install the proper video drivers
- PC re-boots, image shows in a purple-ish distortion
This is similar to what I see, I will get a actual image tonight.
Here are some of the trouble shooting steps I took.
- Tried removing drivers that came on the CD and installing new drivers from ATI's web page with no joy
- Tried hooking the same HDMI cable to a HD LED TV, image displayed as expected
- Tried a shorter different cable from HTPC to projector with no joy again, but good results when connected to a LED TV
- Tried adjusting resolutions on both the Projector and the setting with in Windows and the special drivers that install with the video card, no joy.
- Tried running the generic driver that Windows 7 picks but 1024X768 is the max resolution and my screen is 16:9.
- My only other source that has HDMI was through my iPhone with an adaptor, then to a HDMI cable, this works well on both the TV and the Projector, both units see the iPhone as 720P
Optoma's tech support was of no help, the tech just stated that if it worked on the iPhone it was working properly.
My thoughts are possibly flash the Projector, try to borrow another HD source like an X-box 360 or PS3 for additional testing. I have this feeling that this has more to do with the video cards settings but switched every option in my trouble shooing steps.
ECS AM2 mother board 2 Gb of DDR2
Phenom X3 8400 2.1 Ghz
Radeon HD 5450 1Gb
SilverStone Micro ATX case (ML03B)
generic HDMI cables known to work on flat pannels
Thanks in advance for any input provided. I did search a good bit on this but not sure what key works best address my problem.