AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 3 days I have been having a strange problem with my RCA DTC100. The problem starts in the early afternoon and continues until about 9 in the evening. All of the sudden I am getting “searching for satellite†message on the bottom of the screen. I am getting no signal strength on any transponder from any of the LNB’s. (I have the triple LNB with the Sat C kit installed) I have done both a hard and soft reboot and neither has helped.

A second DirectTV unit (non HD) in another room is functioning fine. My DTC100 over the air signal is working fine, it is just the DirectTV part that is not functioning. It seems strange to me that everything functions fine in the morning but does not function in the afternoon or evening.

I have had the DTC100 for about 2 years and have never had a problem with it. DirectTV tech support was unable to help and they are sending a tech person out on Thursday to look at the unit. (I purchased the dtv protection plan about 6 months ago) If anyone has had a similar problem I would be interested in knowing about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here's what I'd do:

1. Run the internal dianostic test both am and pm - see if you get any errors.

2. Check signal strength when it's working (are you in the 90's or 60's?).

Maybe antenna is on the edge of reception. Maybe multiswitch is getting hot (failing) when sun is on it. Is fan still running? Guessing second DTV unit is newer generation? Good luck. HNick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a little experimenting with the unit. I switched the output cables on the multiswitch so the DTC100 is now on the other output and my second (Sony SAT-50) receiver is on the original DTC100 output. My DTC100 is now working fine and the second receiver is getting “searching for satellite†message.

The problem appears to be in the output of the multiswitch. I am not sure if this is indicative of a failing multiswitch? The multiswitch has 4 outputs with only 2 being used. I have not tried the 2 unused outputs to see if they are functional. (I will probably wait for the tech person to come out so I don’t have to climb the ladder)

·
Registered
183 Posts
My DTC-100 has basically been bulletproof since November of 2000. Last night though, at exactly 2am ET, it crashed. My Tivo successfully recorded a show from 1-2am, but from 2am-3am all it recorded was "Searching for satellite signal."

Here were the symptoms at 6:30pm tonight when I discovered it was insane:

- Searching for satellite signal on all three sats (101, 110 and 199)

- Black and white video only, with interlace-like flickering on the channel banner

- Changing the channel brought up the banner with "info not available" but with no picture or sound

- Current date was 01/01/70 and time was behind by more than 1 hour

- OTA (analog and digital) worked fine (in B&W only)

- Guide time was from 1:30am to 3:30am with shows at 1:30am still in the guide; anything past 2am was blank

- Dish pointing said the signal was locked, but signal strength was 0 (weird)

- System test complained about signal strength and tuning

Nothing short of unplugging the unit would get it to reset.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yep, this has been happening to my DTC100 a lot lately, too. Other Forum members have reported identical problems on another thread that I started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=144830

What are the chances of so many multiswitches of various ages flaking out at once? I suspect that we are the innocent victims of some anti-piracy electronic counter-measures (ECMs) from DirecTV.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Dave, I think you are right. My DTC100 has been doing some crazy things lately. DirecTV is sending out new cards. Could there be a connection?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am experiencing a similar problem. It's weird because it happens only in the afternoon and through the evening like the originating poster has mentioned. Could this be happening in the PM because that's when SHO is broadcasting in HD?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I frequently come home from work and "find" the unit in this "Searching for Satellite Signal" mode so I don't know when it's happening unless it happens while I'm already watching something and it gets interupted.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Over the last few days DIRECTV has been testing a new satellite at 119. They have recently moved some programming at 119 from the old sat to the new one. Perhaps this is affecting some people.

I have a different problem. I have a parental lockout for R and above rated movies. Often while I am watching an R rated HBOHD movie after having unlocked the system, the screen will suddenly go blank with the message that the system is locked and I need to unlock it again. This isn't really a problem for me since I don't record HDTV anyway, but I don't know why it suddenly decides to lock things again in the middle of a movie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Checked at around noon time here in the West Coast (Los Angeles area) and SHOHD (543) was showing Supernova in spectacular HD on my HT. No drop outs or "Searching for Satellite Signal" messages. Checked again today at around 4:00pm and sure enough, the message is there again. Help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.