AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On holiday at my parents house (they have no clue about AV equipment at all) and my wife wanted to watch "Becoming Jane". Parents have a brand new 40" Samsung and a 2-3 year old basic Philips DVD player.

Put in movie, and it played really small with both pillar boxes and letter boxes. Movie case doesn't mention whether it's anamorphic (may be the issue may be hardware) so I hit the zoom button. As the picture got bigger, the letter boxes went away but pillar boxes did not (portions of the left and right image were chopped with the same black space still remaining).

Went back to normal on the DVD and tried the TV aspect button (it started at 3:4). 16:9 filled the picture right to left but did nothing vertically, leaving them short and fat. Had to go to a strange zoom setting to make it the right aspect but the image quality is crap.

Ideas?

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
Make sure your DVD player is set to output 16:9 first, almost all of them default to 4:3. Then make sure your TV is set to 16:9 for widescreen movie. This should be it unless you're playing 4:3 DVD or non-anamorphic DVD. For 4:3 DVDs, set TV to 4:3 aspect ratio. For non-anamorphic, also set TV to 4:3 or Zoom.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was it...I suspected the dvd player was set wrong but I didn't want to interupt the movie. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.