AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so i just bought a new TV, LG LD550- 120hz

I was very excited to set up my pc, and stream amazing 1080P videos, however im getting some glitchy framerates. Every so often the video will do this minor skip, and it happens at random times. I have my pc hooked up via HDMI at 1920x1080.

Now ive been doing some serious troubleshooting, of course starting with my pc. Ive swapped out multiple video cards, 3 different ones, but am sticking with xfx 5770, as the others have all produced the same framerate problem. My pc also is 6 months old with a phenom x4 chip, 4gb ram...its plenty powerful to do HD video. The glitches still happen even playing low quality divx videos.

Now while watching movies on my 22" LCD PC monitor the videos play perfectly smooth, so i ruled out its not my PC. I even tried hooking up my pc through all different hdmi ports, and the vga port in the TV..and the same results happen.

Now i decided to try out the TV's built in video player from USB, that does divx, mkv etc...and the videos play PERFECT. Even when i turn on trumotion the videos are as smooth as can be, but again using my PC via hdmi, the videos have this annoying glitch when trumotion is on or off.

Why cant my tv play videos from my pc smoothly. Isnt it just another monitor? I really want to use my pc so i can use XBMC, its driving me crazy!

My only conclusion is the tv is doing some frame processing on its own and it gets out of synch with my PC video feed, and that is where the frames drop and become glitchy. Its very annoying, shouldnt my tv function perfect with an HTPC?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the latest XBMC on windows 7.

I looked at my cpu performance, and there were no random spikes in any of the 4 cpu cores.

I also did another test and set up my 22" lcd monitor next to my LG 42". I duplicated my display and watched a video side by side. After watching my TV for a few minutes i still saw the random tiny glitches, and then watching on my 22" montior i saw none. There is something going on with this tv, and i have a feeling it has to do with the 120hz feature. I notice the glitching more when the camera pans on a certain scene.

I have even set up my pc to our downstairs tv. An LG 50" 720P plasma, and my videos do no experience the same glitches as on my TV.

Do i need to set my pc and the tv to a certain hz?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceology3 /forum/post/19529875

I am using the latest XBMC on windows 7.

I looked at my cpu performance, and there were no random spikes in any of the 4 cpu cores.

I also did another test and set up my 22" lcd monitor next to my LG 42". I duplicated my display and watched a video side by side. After watching my TV for a few minutes i still saw the random tiny glitches, and then watching on my 22" montior i saw none. There is something going on with this tv, and i have a feeling it has to do with the 120hz feature. I notice the glitching more when the camera pans on a certain scene.

I have even set up my pc to our downstairs tv. An LG 50" 720P plasma, and my videos do no experience the same glitches as on my TV.

Do i need to set my pc and the tv to a certain hz?

does your lg have "trumotion" , it's a feature under picture controls...if so turn it off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it does have trumotion. I have turned it off, and have tried multiple video settings and i still cant get this minor glitch to go away.

Also, like i said in my first post, when i watch movies via the USB input off a usb stick, using LGs built in video player, movies play perfect. The trumotion even works flawlessly. But when watching videos through my pc via hdmi, while trumotion is on or off, there is still this annoying random glitch.

Im probably gonna return this tv, and drop down to a 60hz, and upgrade the size. As I dont care for trumotion and every other tv ive hooked up a PC too has been 60hz. My old tv was a 32" LCD syntax and HD movies from my PC never experienced this issue.

Has anyone reported issues with 120hz tv's hooked up to a PC?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceology3 /forum/post/19530178

Yes it does have trumotion. I have turned it off, and have tried multiple video settings and i still cant get this minor glitch to go away.

Also, like i said in my first post, when i watch movies via the USB input off a usb stick, using LGs built in video player, movies play perfect. The trumotion even works flawlessly. But when watching videos through my pc via hdmi, while trumotion is on or off, there is still this annoying random glitch.

Im probably gonna return this tv, and drop down to a 60hz, and upgrade the size. As I dont care for trumotion and every other tv ive hooked up a PC too has been 60hz. My old tv was a 32" LCD syntax and HD movies from my PC never experienced this issue.

Has anyone reported issues with 120hz tv's hooked up to a PC?

I think if you can return the tv and get something bigger you should do it, with that being said I have an LG 55lh90 and I used to run it at 60hz refresh rate from my pc and never had issues, recently I tried running it at 24hz(eliminating 3:2 pulldown) and it works great also, I do not see a difference either though, it was smooth both ways. I have trumotion off because it looks weird to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i decided to return the tv to amazon. Great deal by the way, free shipping and free returns, they even come pick up the tv.

I went to wal-mart and bought a 46" samsung LN46C530 60hz TV . The box didnt fit in my car so i had to take it out of the box. To my surprise there was no remote or power cable, as this tv was previously returned. So i went back in and explained my story. The employee found a remote and power cable in the back, and even offered to give me a discount if i buy this tv because it was an open box. The discount ended up being 30%. I got the tv for $490 originally from $700!! Set it up at home and everything works great! No more glitches and my 1080p movies look amazing. I guess things happen in strange ways. Anyway, thanks for the help from everyone. I guess the LG may have had a slight defect or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts