AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Strange G90 problem

2154 Views 36 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  glassact
Hello all -

Has anyone had this problem? My G90 has decided to try to project the menu by itself in the middle of movies (no buttons pressed). Unfortunately, it doesn't do a proper job of even this. It projects a pixelated white noise on the upper half of the screen that overprints the movie. Any idea what I need to do to fix this?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassact
Hello all -

Has anyone had this problem? My G90 has decided to try to project the menu by itself in the middle of movies (no buttons pressed). Unfortunately, it doesn't do a proper job of even this. It projects a pixelated white noise on the upper half of the screen that overprints the movie. Any idea what I need to do to fix this?
It could be a bad OSD IC and/or related circuitry that's going bad if it's happening radomly. If it was constant, I would say it's a corrupted eeprom.
Failure should be located in YA board. Try to reload PJ firmware.

John
Does the Menu show properly when you push the menu button? I had some issues with mine from time to time and it as the H sync on the DA board. I had to recalibrate the Sync per the manuals instructions.
Thanks, all -

I figured it was probably the YA board once I figured out what OSD stood for. Tried reloading the firmware, but that didn't seem to help - so it is probably the IC. As for the rest - the menu does come up properly, but is repeated in the ghost image at the top of the screen (not continuously, just most of the time..). I'll have to try replacing the board once SONY gets the part in stock. At 1700$, it's quite a deal. (sigh).

Best - Ed.
Quote:
Thanks, all -

I figured it was probably the YA board once I figured out what OSD stood for. Tried reloading the firmware, but that didn't seem to help - so it is probably the IC. As for the rest - the menu does come up properly, but is repeated in the ghost image at the top of the screen (not continuously, just most of the time..). I'll have to try replacing the board once SONY gets the part in stock. At 1700$, it's quite a deal. (sigh).

Best - Ed.

Sorry! :p You should have said that you didn't know what OSD meant, you didn't mention it in the PM, so I thought you knew. :) I usually don't like to use abbreviations, but, everyone else does and I thought that (OSD) was one everyone was familiar with. :D
Your lucky it's the YA board the BA boards are no longer available. Well the first verison is but second is not. Not sure if the first verision will work in a v 2 machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg
Your lucky it's the YA board the BA boards are no longer available. Well the first verison is but second is not. Not sure if the first verision will work in a v 2 machine.
I believe you CAN use the older version in the newer machine.
That's something I will add to my mental roldex I was getting pretty pissed when I thought mine was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg
That's something I will add to my mental roldex I was getting pretty pissed when I thought mine was bad.

You don't find many (if any) G90's that people sell for parts. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Sorry! :p You should have said that you didn't know what OSD meant, you didn't mention it in the PM, so I thought you knew. :) I usually don't like to use abbreviations, but, everyone else does and I thought that (OSD) was one everyone was familiar with. :D

Yes, it's Obessive Sony Disorder and Techman has it bad! :eek: :p :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Yes, it's Obessive Sony Disorder and Techman has it bad! :eek: :p :D

Well, it's about that time of the year again, when all the Canadians come down to invade Florida. :p

The waitress at a Denny's restaurant where I go to eat vomes over to me and points to a table with 15 French Canadians and says to me "Do you know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? I looked at her a little confused and said what? To which she replied "The Canadians don't tip! :p
You guys wouldn't want to attach this on the component level? Could it just be a bad IC404 part number LM1283N.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1283.pdf

I don't have a lot of time to think right now but check the schematics page 10-21. The block diagram would indicate that this might be the issue as well as the Theory of operations manual.

It's only like a $2 part.

craigr
See less See more
Yes, Craig may be right...

The LM1283 device is mixing OSD to RGB video and can be responsible of the failure... or the "OSD CONT" (pin #14) management.

This part is located on BA board

John
Quote:
My G90 has decided to try to project the menu by itself in the middle of movies (no buttons pressed). Unfortunately, it doesn't do a proper job of even this. It projects a pixelated white noise on the upper half of the screen that overprints the movie.
The only part I am having trouble with is why would the menu screen be on the "upper half" of the screen. A pixelated OSD makes sense but a shifted OSD doesn't (off hand).

glassact, can you describe this a little better or post a picture? Is the self projected OSD menu located where the OSD is normally located on the screen? Or is the self projected OSD shifted up as you sort of seem to be describing? I think if it's shifted it still might be IC404, but a shift would make my case less likely.

In any event, something has to tell the OSD to be inserted into the video signal. The OSD is inserted at IC404 so I would think something is either telling IC404 to insert the menu or IC404 is the failure. If I am correct, neither of these should be difficult to repair for a lot less then a new board.

craigr
See less See more
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering
The only part I am having trouble with is why would the menu screen be on the "upper half" of the screen. A pixelated OSD makes sense but a shifted OSD doesn't (off hand).

glassact, can you describe this a little better or post a picture? Is the self projected OSD menu located where the OSD is normally located on the screen? Or is the self projected OSD shifted up as you sort of seem to be describing? I think if it's shifted it still might be IC404, but a shift would make my case less likely.

In any event, something has to tell the OSD to be inserted into the video signal. The OSD is inserted at IC404 so I would think something is either telling IC404 to insert the menu or IC404 is the failure. If I am correct, neither of these should be difficult to repair for a lot less then a new board.

craigr
I think what he described is that the "upper half" of the menu (where it would normally be), is pixelated with white noise and it is there that it overprints the movie. I don't think he means in a different location.
See less See more
Folks:

Several things to note:

The pixelated overprinting menu is offset above and to the right of the non-pixelated menu. It is surrounded by white and colored snow in the upper 1/2 of the image and around 7/8 of the way across (I'll try to get a picture of it later today). When the menu is not projected, I sometimes get color lines and sometimes thick white lines across the same region. Parts of messages often remain on the screen long after I cease to have interest in them. I can ever turn off the projector, and when I turn it back on after 30 second or so, the pixelated remains of a message will continue to block the movie.

The IC, by the way, is 5.55$ from bluestar, and 45$ from SONY. Best - and thanks again - Ed
Quote:
Folks:

Several things to note:

The pixelated overprinting menu is offset above and to the right of the non-pixelated menu. It is surrounded by white and colored snow in the upper 1/2 of the image and around 7/8 of the way across (I'll try to get a picture of it later today). When the menu is not projected, I sometimes get color lines and sometimes thick white lines across the same region. Parts of messages often remain on the screen long after I cease to have interest in them. I can ever turn off the projector, and when I turn it back on after 30 second or so, the pixelated remains of a message will continue to block the movie.

The IC, by the way, is 5.55$ from bluestar, and 45$ from SONY. Best - and thanks again - Ed

Do you mean something like this?

___BBB

___BBB

___BBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB

AAABBB