AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40es. I've had it installed for awhile but recently decided to try and dial in the placement a bit more. I use an anamorphic lens but the same problem occurs with it removed. The screen is a Silver Ticket 2.35 fixed frame.

No matter what I do I seem to get pincushion at the bottom with the centered elevated slightly and each bottom corner dropping down. I don't think it's the projector... I never noticed any issued at my old house when I was testing on a blank wall.

Our house is a new build... And we are discovering problems with the framing. Is it possible that the the screen wall isn't straight?

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture of the test pattern. The anamorphic lens is in place. I've zoomed the image into the frame a bit to lessen the pincushion the lens causes but My 2.5 inch frame doesn's allow me to eliminate it entirely. I've tried adjusting the lens to even out the pincushion as described in the Panamorph manual, but the bottom is always worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
I have a 40es. I've had it installed for awhile but recently decided to try and dial in the placement a bit more. I use an anamorphic lens but the same problem occurs with it removed. The screen is a Silver Ticket 2.35 fixed frame.

No matter what I do I seem to get pincushion at the bottom with the centered elevated slightly and each bottom corner dropping down. I don't think it's the projector... I never noticed any issued at my old house when I was testing on a blank wall.

Our house is a new build... And we are discovering problems with the framing. Is it possible that the the screen wall isn't straight?
It's possible - throw a level on it for one.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Here's a picture of the test pattern. The anamorphic lens is in place. I've zoomed the image into the frame a bit to lessen the pincushion the lens causes but My 2.5 inch frame doesn's allow me to eliminate it entirely. I've tried adjusting the lens to even out the pincushion as described in the Panamorph manual, but the bottom is always worse.
It might help to know your throw distance and image size.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Ive been in construction for 30 yrs and worked in houses new and well over 100 yrs old, priced from 150k to 42 million and and some of it has to do with lumber and improper drying. MOST of it has to do with the lack of attention to detail and the willingness to use a level that cost more than $5, has not been dropped 50 times and a real framing square. So yeah, your wall may not be level. Sorry for my rant, "craftsmanship" is dyeing off and that saddens me. I hope Craig gets you straightened out, pun not intended.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Ive been in construction for 30 yrs and worked in houses new and well over 100 yrs old, priced from 150k to 42 million and and some of it has to do with lumber and improper drying. MOST of it has to do with the lack of attention to detail and the willingness to use a level that cost more than $5, has not been dropped 50 times and a real framing square. So yeah, your wall may not be level. Sorry for my rant, "craftsmanship" is dyeing off and that saddens me. I hope Craig gets you straightened out, pun not intended.
I've got 20+ years in commercial construction, and would have to agree with you, unfortunately.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe we can safely say our framers had no attention to detail to put it very kindly. And I normally have great respect for the trades. There are multiple walls on our house that aren't straight and one bedroom upstairs has a bulge in the floor.

My throw is about 14.5 feet. Image is 50 inches tall.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Had the same problem with my Epson when I was projecting directly on the wall. Went away as soon as I mounted a screen.
Put your head against the wall, close one eye & look down the length of the wall, in many cases you can see the drywall bulge/bow. Happens between the studs.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I believe we can safely say our framers had no attention to detail to put it very kindly. And I normally have great respect for the trades. There are multiple walls on our house that aren't straight and one bedroom upstairs has a bulge in the floor.

My throw is about 14.5 feet. Image is 50 inches tall.
A level isn't going to help you determine flatness of a wall, which is likely your problem. You need a straight-edge and that is simple. Rather than looking for a ten foot+ long straightedge, just use string. Thumb tack it to the wall with a bit of cardboard under it at one side and again at the other side. You should have the same cardboard thickness across the entire wall if the wall is flat horizontally. Do the same at top and bottom. If you are actually hanging a screen, do it at the mounting positions rather than the full width. If the wall bulges out, which is what your picture looks like doing, simply shim out from the wall under the mounting positions so the screen hangs a 1/4" or whatever is required so no part of the screen touches the wall other than the mount points. If you previously snugged the screen to a non-flat wall, you may have actually bent the frame, which would be tough to correct.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took a closer look at the screen. A couple of potential issues stand out:

It's a Silver Ticket mounted to studs via four of their brackets...two on the bottom...two in the top. The top of the frame is noticeably closer to the wall then the bottom. It's as if the top of the screen was 'leaning back' slightly from the projector. I'd say the top is flush with the wall...the bottom is as much as a 1/4 inch or so away from the wall. When I can get a friend to help I may try removing the bottom mount points and see if allowing it to hang freely will help. I'm pretty sure the screws are all the same length out from the wall but will also double check that.

I think the bottom frame may actually be bowed a bit (Mostly because it appears that way to the eye and I don't see the issue I describe above causing my problem) I'll do a few more tests before declaring my disappointment in Silver Ticket but out of the box I never could get the frame to align up perfectly....I would always have a gap at two of the corners....If I tried to tighen one side the other would slip. I just chalked it up to being a cheap screen but I'm starting to think it was never square.

If it is the screen I will live with it for now. We have a toddler and this was always going to be a stop gap solution until she learned to respect things a bit more (My theater is in a gameroom that I can't keep her out of). I'll eventually have a better screen that I will take the time to completely align. The distortion isn't horrible with full screen movies and only slightly distracting with the TV channels that have graphics or my PC.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I think the bottom frame may actually be bowed a bit (Mostly because it appears that way to the eye and I don't see the issue I describe above causing my problem) I'll do a few more tests before declaring my disappointment in Silver Ticket but out of the box I never could get the frame to align up perfectly
It may very well be wracked -- twisted and bowed -- especially if you had to apply a lot of tension to the screen material when attaching it. I don't know how ST screens attach. If you don't have a large enough flat floor of wood or tile, you won't be able to see if the screen is "flat". You can certainly stretch a string from side to side along the frame rails and see if they are bowed. If they are, take pictures of how they bow away from the string and send them to ST. They may just send you a new frame out of the goodness of their hearts.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice. We have enough hardwood and the garage is big enough, but the theater is upstairs with carpet so getting it down the stairs would be a problem.

I'll probably reach out to Silver Ticket but if a lot of 'prove it' is required I'm going to leave it alone. I wouldn't blame them since my configuration IS a bit unusual (A lens etc) but there is only so much more messing with it that I want to do. I've been up and down that ladder way too many times as it is. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts