AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a strange issue when I set my Roku 3 to 1080P, and feeding it to my Pioneer Kuro Pro-111FD. I also postd this in the displays section. I'm wondering if perhaps someone else may have experienced this and corrected the issue.

Thanks in advance.

I've been having an issue with my Kuro, when utilizing either my PS3 or Roku 3 (2015 version). I get green interference/static when I select 1080i on my slim PS3, or 1080P on Roku 3. (Seen here on right side of photo) But not when I select 720P. I don't get this when playing 1080P blu ray discs on my Pioneer blu ray player, nor do I have any issues with Fios.

They (Fios box, blu ray player, Roku, PS3) all go through my Denon AVE-591.

I thought it might be the HDMI cable, but I switched HDMI cables, and it didn't help. I also usd the HDMI cable that I use with my blu ray player, with the same issue I described above.

Anyone else come across this issue? Is there a setting I'm missing.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update...

Unhooked Roku 3 from the HDMI cable, hooked up a Apple TV (v3) to the same hdmi cable, same input, same display settings, etc.... and guess whay, none of the issues with 1080P setting on the Apple TV.

Kind of hard to understand (and frustrating) why I get the issue with the PS3 and Roku 3 set to 1080P (ok with 720P), but don't have the issue with the Apple TV.

My streaming habits are primarily Netflix, some Amazon, and on occasion playing my digital copies via VUDU.

But since the picture difference between the Roku 3 (at 720P) vs Apple TV (at 1080P) is significant enough for me to utilize the Apple TV for my Netflix and Amazon Prime viewing, although since there is no Amazon Prime app on the Apple, I have to using the iPad and mirror it to the Apple TV.

What does annoy me is that I can't utilize VUDU on the Apple TV for my digital copies, or at least I haven't found a way yet, because when I try to utilize the mirroring feature, VUDU goes blank. Anyone have a way to do so?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Update...

Unhooked Roku 3 from the HDMI cable, hooked up a Apple TV (v3) to the same hdmi cable, same input, same display settings, etc.... and guess whay, none of the issues with 1080P setting on the Apple TV.

Kind of hard to understand (and frustrating) why I get the issue with the PS3 and Roku 3 set to 1080P (ok with 720P), but don't have the issue with the Apple TV.

My streaming habits are primarily Netflix, some Amazon, and on occasion playing my digital copies via VUDU.

But since the picture difference between the Roku 3 (at 720P) vs Apple TV (at 1080P) is significant enough for me to utilize the Apple TV for my Netflix and Amazon Prime viewing, although since there is no Amazon Prime app on the Apple, I have to using the iPad and mirror it to the Apple TV.

What does annoy me is that I can't utilize VUDU on the Apple TV for my digital copies, or at least I haven't found a way yet, because when I try to utilize the mirroring feature, VUDU goes blank. Anyone have a way to do so?
Yes, your problem is a little puzzling. 1080p uses twice the bandwidth of 720p, so my first impression was that you were getting 'sparklies' because the HDMI cable used was beginning to drop off the cliff transmission-wise. Yet there are no problems when switched to the Apple TV3 (1080p) with same cable.

You also said you have swapped out the original HDMI cable with another different cable with no change.

I would continue to suspect the HDMI cables you are using or check to make sure none of the video data pins are bent. How long are the HDMI cables used and what is the quality of the cables, are you sure they are certified as high speed?

Perhaps the simple act of reconnecting the cable in a slightly different manner cured the problem. Did you have this problem from Day 1 or did the problem just pop up one day. As I said it is puzzling.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, your problem is a little puzzling. 1080p uses twice the bandwidth of 720p, so my first impression was that you were getting 'sparklies' because the HDMI cable used was beginning to drop off the cliff transmission-wise. Yet there are no problems when switched to the Apple TV3 (1080p) with same cable.

You also said you have swapped out the original HDMI cable with another different cable with no change.

I would continue to suspect the HDMI cables you are using or check to make sure none of the video data pins are bent. How long are the HDMI cables used and what is the quality of the cables, are you sure they are certified as high speed?

Perhaps the simple act of reconnecting the cable in a slightly different manner cured the problem. Did you have this problem from Day 1 or did the problem just pop up one day. As I said it is puzzling.
Thank you replying Mr. G.

This problem has been since day one. I've tried three different sets of cables, each time carefully inserting them, no change. I've had them routed through the avr, and also direct to the display, also tried different HDMI ports. The HDMI cables were all 6 ft or less.

Frustrating to say the least.

I will reinspect the connections this evening, and try reseting the Roku, and will report back

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No change. Maybe it's just a compatibility issue. To the bedroom it goes.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I called their tech support, and they recommended that I reboot it, which I did, but it didn't correct the issue.

I can stream my Ultraviolet titles to the AppleTV by utilizing Airplay and Cinemanow, plus I linked my Ultraviolet account to Fios, so they can be played through the set top box as well..

Installed the Roku in the bedroom for my wife, and no issue.

So rather than frustrating myself, I'm probably going to keep the Roku in the Bedroom, and utilize the Apple in the Den.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow. That is really weird. I've been using Roku boxes on all of my sets for years and have never seen that.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. That is really weird. I've been using Roku boxes on all of my sets for years and have never seen that.
Didn't seem normal, and I'm not about to have a Pioneer service tech come out to look. Kinda was hoping someone else may have experienced this and found a solution.

By the way, I laughed aloud when I read your screen name. Thanks for the chuckle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts