AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 32" Sony XBR1 tv set. I noticed a few weeks ago that a shadow line had developed in the center of the screen. It starts at the left side and spans across the screen towards the right side of the screen.

At first I thought that it was burn-in, but the line almost completely disappears after the set has been on for a couple of hours!

It reappears when the set is turned on the following day. I experimented with it tonight. After watching a 90 minute movie, the line again almost completely disappeared.

To my understanding, this isn't burn-in, right? Burn-in doesn't fade when the set warms up a little and comes back when the set is cold, does it?

I have extended warranty and I will bring the set in tomorrow to be checked out, but I would appreciate any feedback before I go, if anyone has an idea of what this might be.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
no its not burn in

what kind of line, is it like a real defined thin line going from top to bottom or is just a row of the screen that is darker for awhile?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18170104

no its not burn in

what kind of line, is it like a real defined thin line going from top to bottom or is just a row of the screen that is darker for awhile?

It's almost like a really thick pencil line going across the screen. You can't see it when there's dark images on the screen, but when you go to a dvd player menu, or when there's light color fields on the screen, it stands out as a darker line across the screen. It looks like what you'd think a burn-in pencil line would look like.

It's dead center of the screen. Starts on the left and proceeds about 2/3rds of the way towards the right side.

When the set is on for a couple of hours, you only see a little of the line right next to the left side of the screen. The majority of the line fades away completely.

So, it's the second part you mentioned.... a row across the screen that is darker for awhile and then fades after the set warms up.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
how wide is the row? 1/2-1" or so?

sounds like the Driver IC is going out on that row or the tab bond is failing but i would lean on it being the Driver IC because tab bond failures usually make stuck colored lines appear vertically on the screen

it could also be backlight related but not knowing how that model works with its backlight internally i cannot say if its possible for it to create a dim row like that but it very well could be

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18170143

how wide is the row? 1/2-1" or so?

sounds like the Driver IC is going out on that row or the tab bond is failing but i would lean on it being the Driver IC because tab bond failures usually make stuck colored lines appear vertically on the screen

it could also be backlight related but not knowing how that model works with its backlight internally i cannot say if its possible for it to create a dim row like that but it very well could be

Hi, the row is about 1/2" thick at the very beginning and as it extends across the screen it's around 1/4" thick I'd say. Thanks for the tips as I'll have an idea of what to say when I bring the set in tomorrow. I'm damned glad that I can prove it's not burn-in, as that would have been their first response to the issue, I bet. I paid a fortune for the extended warranty so hopefully it will pay for itself!

Hard to believe but you can buy an entry-level no-name 32" LCD NOW, for what the extended warranty cost me for this set-just over 4 years ago-here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan /forum/post/18170187

Hi, the row is about 1/2" thick at the very beginning and as it extends across the screen it's around 1/4" thick I'd say. Thanks for the tips as I'll have an idea of what to say when I bring the set in tomorrow. I'm damned glad that I can prove it's not burn-in, as that would have been their first response to the issue, I bet. I paid a fortune for the extended warranty so hopefully it will pay for itself!

Hard to believe but you can buy an entry-level no-name 32" LCD NOW, for what the extended warranty cost me for this set-just over 4 years ago-here in Canada.

oh yeah if it tapers down its got to be the backlight then. I'm guessing that they lit the screen up at the side(s) on the model (many LCD TV's are lit at the sides) and they either used multiple smaller CCFL bulbs (would be odd never seen that done) or just part of the CCFL is failing to light up to full brightness until it warms up

no matter what its a good thing you have that warranty, smart move on your part because they will likely not fix this TV they will scrap it and give you a comparable modern model if they are like most extended warranty companies.

also just as an FYI in case they start talking about burn in, LCD's cannot burn in its next to impossible

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frito, thanks for the tips. You seem very knowledgable about LCD tvs in general.

If I am forced to buy another LCD tv to replace this set, what model do you suggest would come closest to duplicating the quality of the Sony XBR1 model?

I've been racking my brains reading reviews of various 32" LCD sets. The only one that seems to match up is Samsung, but many complain about crappy 3 watt speakers. The sound is great on my XBR1 at 13 watts per channel. This is a bedroom set and I do not want external speakers, I just want to use the tv speakers.

Any ideas?

Kevin

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18170231

oh yeah if it tapers down its got to be the backlight then. I'm guessing that they lit the screen up at the side(s) on the model (many LCD TV's are lit at the sides) and they either used multiple smaller CCFL bulbs (would be odd never seen that done) or just part of the CCFL is failing to light up to full brightness until it warms up

no matter what its a good thing you have that warranty, smart move on your part because they will likely not fix this TV they will scrap it and give you a comparable modern model if they are like most extended warranty companies.

also just as an FYI in case they start talking about burn in, LCD's cannot burn in its next to impossible

frito, the store I'm dealing with no longer carries Sony products. They carry LG, Panasonic and Samsung. And, unfortunately, they only carry the basic models in the 32" size. Back in November of 2005, I paid a whopping $3500 for this set! It was the best you could get here. The damned warranty cost me $400!! Obviously, the set would have to be a 32" esoteric Runco LCD to give me comparable value! Ha ha!

But THANKS for the tip on backlighting as the possible culprit. I'll use that argument first thing tomorrow morning when I darken their doorway

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan /forum/post/18170267

frito, the store I'm dealing with no longer carries Sony products. They carry LG, Panasonic and Samsung. And, unfortunately, they only carry the basic models in the 32" size. Back in November of 2005, I paid a whopping $3500 for this set! It was the best you could get here. The damned warranty cost me $400!! Obviously, the set would have to be a 32" esoteric Runco LCD to give me comparable value! Ha ha!

But THANKS for the tip on backlighting as the possible culprit. I'll use that argument first thing tomorrow morning when I darken their doorway

yikes! 3500 for a 32" makes me feel good about paying 750 for a 32" Sony XBR6 a year ago and even then i got ripped off considering that i just paid 700 for a 50" panasonic plasma for the living room that blows the 32 outta the water

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18170287

yikes! 3500 for a 32" makes me feel good about paying 750 for a 32" Sony XBR6 a year ago and even then i got ripped off considering that i just paid 700 for a 50" panasonic plasma for the living room that blows the 32 outta the water

Here in Ontario Canada, back in the Fall of 2005, the cheapest LCD tv was a crapola Digistar Walmart unit for....$1400. Name brand Samsung's were going for about $2300 but they had a phoney looking picture(clayface, ect) due to their patented processing. The XBR1 was $3500. The following year the XBR1 was still for sale but it dropped a whopping $300 in price! Ha ha!

The XBR really had the most natural looking picture of any LCD back at that time. I'm still happy with it, even though my main display is an Elite Pro-101FD in the living room!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan /forum/post/18170318

Here in Ontario Canada, back in the Fall of 2005, the cheapest LCD tv was a crapola Digistar Walmart unit for....$1400. Name brand Samsung's were going for about $2300 but they had a phoney looking picture(clayface, ect) due to their patented processing. The XBR1 was $3500. The following year the XBR1 was still for sale but it dropped a whopping $300 in price! Ha ha!

The XBR really had the most natural looking picture of any LCD back at that time. I'm still happy with it, even though my main display is an Elite Pro-101FD in the living room!

nice yeah i bet you love that pioneer

we just recently got a Panny 50X1 for our living room to replace a still working but aging 46" 1080i CRT RPTV.

i had already bought a Toshiba 40xv645u 120hz LCD and was going to return it because i got a Panny 37S1 for my room/PC monitor due to better gaming performance but then decided to wall mount it in the living room and it was good but too small so returned the the thing and got the 50" 720p plasma and man what a difference, at our viewing distance of 10' it looks amazing and it cost the same amount as the Toshiba did

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I dropped the tv off at the store on Saturday, and last night I called to provide some more info as the writeup on the work order was sparse. The lady I spoke to told me that the problem is likely Image Retention.

Well, I tried to logically explain to her that I doubt that this was the case, as the dark row is across the screen when the set is cold and largely disappears after an hour or so. Also, that the set is used for watching tv shows and dvds not for gaming or computer useage.

I didn't get into a heated debate as I could tell she didn't understand the concept of image retention. Also, her store sells LG plasmas which are noted for image retention, so she likely hears alot of complaints from people.

The important thing was I hope she added the info to the work order and that the tv is actually going out for service today. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the tech who looks at the tv is familiar with the issue.

frito's idea of the problem being a backlight issue really makes sense to me and I hope they can fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts