AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm have some strange bad luck with my upconverting electronics. While watching a movie on a DVD player I just bought yesterday, I noticed that there was some strange color shifting in the magenta. Ever so slightly I noticed that the overall magenta would increase ever so slightly and then fade at the rate of about 1 second. It is so slight that it would easily slip past most people. My Sony 75H DVD player did the same thing when I first got it and I had to return it for a new one that didn't do it. The Sony only did it when the resolution was set to 1080i and so does the Toshiba I just bought. When I saw the problem with the Sony I thought, "Man, what a strange problem. I'll probably never see that again." I guess I was wrong. My U-Verse box does this a 1080i as well when upconverting through component. It does it so bad you can see a vertical faint wide magenta band cruise across the screen. I didn't really care about the cable box and chose to run it at 720p and it looks fine. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with electronics that upconvert. I'm certain it's not my cables or my TV. I replaced the HDMI cable before I took my Sony 75H back to get one that didn't and still doesn't have this problem. Does anyone know if this is just a likely problem to run into with upconverting electronics as a whole? It's not a massive deal since I can just swap it for a new one, but I'm very curious now since I've seen it quite often what causes this problem.

· One-Man Content Creator
25,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/15420169

I'm certain it's not my cables or my TV.

If multiple devices are showing the same effect on the TV, both through HDMI and component, then I would really suspect the TV. I haven't heard of this problem before.

Does your DVD player allows selection of different color space (RGB vs YCrCb)? I would give that a try.

-Bill

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Does your DVD player allows selection of different color space (RGB vs YCrCb)? I would give that a try.

The Sony 75H does. However it makes no difference. The Sony doesn't do it no matter what it is set to. I know it sounds crazy and at first I thought it was the TV. But time has shown that it is not the TV. My PS2 runs Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i from component and has no color fluctuations. My Sony DVD player runs 1080i all the time with no color fluctuations. I'm sure it is the components causing it as crazy and as unlikely as that sounds. It's not even the cables which I was certain was the problem at first. Anyway, I was just curious to see if anyone else has bumped into this even once. Thank you for the reply.

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sony KD-34XBR970

23,073 Posts
That is an "old" TV wrt current video technology and video processing technology. You may want to check in the directview CRT TV forum to what other owners have to say. And make sure it's properly calibrated and have turned off scan velocity modulation (if possible) and any other "automatic" PQ "modifiers".

larry

· Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope it's not the TV. I just went to Circuit City and swapped it for a new one and the new player's colors are stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.