AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an external HD when the motherboard on my old computer started acting up. I transfered a bunch of filles to a new 40 gig Maxtor external HD then unpluged it. I confirmed the files were there and everything.

Then I changed the computer to a new motherboard and AMD processor. I've got my computer all set up again and plugged the HD (usb) and the computer makes the sound like it sees it. But I can get the drive to show up!

Everyt time i go into hardare manager or whatever it always tells me the device is installed properly. But the dirve never shows up in My Computer!

I don't understand! It won't show up when I plug it into my laptop either!

Anyone?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tell us more, What OS? Are other USB devices working? Details...

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XP home edition.

Yes, it regonizes other USB devices.

I don't understand because the HD doesn't have any Drivers or anything..you just plug it in and go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Perhaps your hard drive is not spinning up. Since it is new, there's always a chance that it is defective or marginal. Are you able to remove it from the external housing and connect to it with an IDE cable as a slave?

Al

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was working fine with my old computer last week.

I called the guy at Maxtor and all he kept saying was "what's your disk management telling you? " And I kept saying "how do you get into disk managment?" then he'd say " I can't tell you how to use your operating system" "read you paperwork" Then I'd say " I don't have any paperwork, could you please just tell me how to access disk management?" Then he'd say "i cant tell you how to use your operating system"....

This went on around in a circle for about 5 minutes till I finally said... "you haven't helped me at all...thanks and goodbye"

·
Registered
551 Posts
I guess you formatted the drive as dynamic drive at the beginning. It's different from the basic drive.

You need to go Control panel -> Administrating or something -> Disk management -> Select local disk manager or something. You can see all raw information of HDD/CD/DVD/etc. connected to your machine. You need to right click a maxtor external HDD there and select import dynamic disk.

I'm writing this from my office. Here is no WinXP, so above descriptions might be little different. Check web page by "dynamic disk" or something to get more detailed information. Wish help this you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
To get to Disk Management: right click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management. This will show you all attached drives (internal & external). You may have to "import" the drive. The online help will guide you though the process.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't hit me, but I have 3 external Maxtor drives and I don't think they will work on another PC unless you install them with the installation CD.

hjackson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.