AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very strange problem which I am trying to trouble shoot.

My NAD T752 receiver is connected to my Toshiba Widescreen with both S-Video and Composite on separate inputs on the TV.

My NAD DVD changer is connected to the TV with Component and bypasses the receiver. The component, s-video and composite run throught the same hole in the cabinet.

The component cable is fairly decent quality but the s-video and composite are cheapos.

The strange thing is when the the TV is on s-video or composite I can see the receiver on screen display until I turn on the DVD player. Once the DVD player is turned on then the display goes wacko. If I change the channel level on the receiver or anythng else the screen temporarily goes back to normal and then goes wacko again. If I turn off the progressive scan on the DVD player I don't have this problem.

The only thing I can think of is that I have interference coming from the component cable when progressive scan is on.

I have the same problem with both the s-video and composite.

This is driving me crazy. I cannot reroute the cables or try better cables without a lot of hassle. My equipment is rackmounted and I don't have access to the rear without pulling out pieces.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The problem is that the DVD changer only puts out either progressive or non-progressive signals, but not both. When the progressive is on, it is sending out a signal that is too dense for your TV which causes it to go nuts or see two images on the screen. Therefore, you can't really have on-screen display from the receiver while you're using your DVD player unless you only use S-Video, non-progressive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joel. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I could have sworn that I have used both in the past when using progressive but I couldn't swear to this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.