AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 5U last week and generally like the PQ and overall build quality. The unit makes a pulsing, low-level whining noise during playback. After turning the power off AUTO flashes for about 5 minutes, accompanied by another, quieter noise. The noises wouldnt really bother me with the stereo speakers on, but are definitely noticeable when just listening to TV speakers. Can other 5U users comment on their units and is this something that will get worse with time? I could probably send it back, but im sure that would be a major hassle.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
the first noise is from tape transport (motor, tape itself etc), the 5 min noise is from the spinning head, after stop the head will spin for 5 min. waiting for you to press play again (sort of stand by mode), after 5 min it will stop to protect the tape and the head itself from excessive wear. Now it will take longer for the tape to play since the head needs to spin up. Every VCR will have this type of noises but it should be hard to detect and only in very quiet room. 3 things come to mind: 1) you get some type of resonance in your cabinet to the point where the sound becomes amplified and directed straight at you. Moving VCR around, putting some other things behind, like tapes, to disipate the sound should help. 2) your hearing is much better than average 3) your deck is louder than average, could indicate some problem and cause future malfunction. Without actually comparing the sound from your VCR to others (hint:maybe you should go to the store and see if the display models are as loud?) it's hard to say but I would start with resonance and try to muffle the sound since every tape player will have this type of sounds to some degree.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea, pete4. I think i have some Vibrapods lying around somewhere. Ill give those a try. So you dont think this is something which will become a problem down the road? I have a JVC 30k, which is noisy also, but not quite as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Impossible for me to tell. I have 4k and I can hear it in total silence or when rewinding but not when actually watching a movie. It could be a tape too. Unless it's very obvious I doubt JVC would fix it before something actually breaks but then maybe they have decibel meter and specifications for the noise allowed? Personally I would open it up and see if anything is loose, try to see exactly where the noise comes from and maybe even lubricate some parts but I wouldn't recomend that to anybody else.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the slight pulsing whirring sound during recording and playback on my 5U, sort of theremin-ish. I haven't moved it around to see if the sound dissipates. I haven't heard this sort of noise on any other VCR I've owned, including a JVC S-VHS. But it's not that loud or distracting, especially since i've gotten used to a lot of minor electronic noises over the years.

I've had the 5U for almost 7 months, and the sound has been there from just about the start. But it works fine otherwise, as long as I clean the heads regularly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The "auto" flashing in the display is the vcr looking for the automatic time and date information that is sometimes transmited over cable. as far as the noise you should remove the vcr from the cabinate and try it again if it is still the same level I would take it back as it should not be noticable once you have your TV on (unless you are rewinding or fast forwarding tapes. I would also try a diferent tape and do not use "cheep" tapes or you will make your heads dirtier faster.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the noise varies with different tapes. At first i thought it was a car idling outside. The fact that leftjab's unit has lasted seven months makes me think it's just a minor annoyance. This thing sounds like a turbine when it's rewinding. Im going to use a spare VCR for the REW/FFs as much as possible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9
I think the noise varies with different tapes. At first i thought it was a car idling outside. The fact that leftjab's unit has lasted seven months makes me think it's just a minor annoyance. This thing sounds like a turbine when it's rewinding. Im going to use a spare VCR for the REW/FFs as much as possible.
It sounds very loud rewinding -- but rewinds very fast, much faster than my older S-VHS VCRs. So that noise hasn't really bothered me.

I've only used JVC and Maxell D-VHS tapes. I know, I'm paying a bit more than if I used S-VHS tapes, but I don't archive that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.