AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Rather than trying to explain the video artifacts I have atached some screenshots. One attachment shows TV, another a pic viewed via My pictures in MCE and another of the desktop.

These video artifacts come up randomly mostly whilst watching TV or a DVD. Although random, it does occur daily. As can be seen in the attachment, it also occurs occasionally on the desktop and in pictures viewed via mypictures in MCE. What the attachments don't show is that whilst watching TV/DVD, the artifacts are moving all over the screen, they are not static. However, the artifacts on the desktop and looking at pics are rather static. On most occasions I can make these artifacts disappear by minimising then maximising MCE whilst watching TV/DVD. But a few minutes later they usually return, or if I am lucky they won't come back until the next night. On other occasions minimising then maximising reduces the artifacting rather than temporarily getting rid of it. I found another interesting thing while capturing the screenshots to attach to this post. When I take the screenshot, the artifacting disappears!! Albeit temporarily..... Another thing worth mentioning is that although the problem occurs on TV/DVD, desktop and pics, it seems that the main issue is with TV/DVD. The desktop/pics issue seems to be a by-product of the main TV/DVD issue. The problem with artifacts on pics/desktop only ever ocurrs during or after watching TV/DVD.

I have had the MCE up and running for a couple of months and the problem has always been there. I saw a post suggesting that my component cables might be a bit faulty. So a few weeks back I switched to HDMI cables. The problem is still there ruling out a faulty cable, also I guess the fact that I can see the artifact in a screenshot also rules out a faulty cable.

I have searched a fair bit on the various forums to see if others have this problem but no luck so far.

Any help would be great!!

My Specs

MCE2005

Intel G965 Express chipset

Intel Core Duo E6400 2.13Ghz

1GB DD2 RAM

250GB SATA HDD

Nvidia GeForce 7600GS (v93.71 driver)

Hauppage Nova-T Dual TV Tuner

Nvidia purevideo decoder

DVI to HDMI cable to Denon receiver then HDMI to 37" Philips LCD

SPDIF out to receiver

·
Registered
996 Posts
Most likely a bad video card. Hopefully it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARGGGGGGGHHHHH.........hopefully not a bad card, I only replaced my TV card 2 weeks ago
But the video is under warranty so if it is faulty at least I will get a new one!

Is it possible to be any type of driver, heat, airflow problem?? Any other suggestions before I spend countless hours on the phone, email etc trying to get a new card?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I had the same problem with my 6600gt

It turned out i just needed to re-install the drivers, i think it may of been down to some overheating as i installed a zalman cooler after the stock was making alot of noise.

Is your 7900gs passive?I presume you are not overclocking.

Try this:

Uninstall the nvidia drivers-see if there is still artifecting on desktop without.

Take out your graphics card and replace it back in again.

Install latest drivers from nvidia.com - see if problem still exists.

If it continues keep an eye on temps, the artifacting will be your graphics card, not your tv card, if you try that then theres not much more you can do!

Phone up your GPU Maker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I might have a bad card
Is still under warranty though.

In response to the questions above:

- the card is not overclocked

- the card has a heatsink and also a fan on the rear of the case

- I have tried the latest drivers and also rolled back to older version (no luck here)

- the card genraly runs between 66 - 72C. Is this too hot??

- I will try the suggestion regarding uninstalling the drivers and seeing if the artifacting stil occurs. If it sill occurs without the drivers what does this mean?? If it doesn't occur without the drivers what does this mean?? I will post the results.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update,

I pulled the case from the cabinet and sat it on the floor and ran it there for a few hours. The GPU temp ran at a constant 62C. The artifacting was ALMOST gone. When on the floor the artifacting only appeared once and this was in a thumbnailed image within MCE My Picture. The artifacting didn't occur on any video, which is where is usually rears its ugly head.

Also, I tried running with the drivers uninstalled, I didnt see any artifacting but then again I couldn't watch any video via MCE either which is where the artifacting usually starts.

So looks like I get on the phone and RMA this card.

THanks all

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Really sounds like what happened with my 6600, i think the connection between the gpu and the heatsink was loose and therefore it was overheating, not enough however to show the temp meter it was.

Do you find after just switching on your pc after it has cooled down it wont be there?and then after a while it will appear?

I guess your right in getting and RMA.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.