AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I'm having a strange problem when trying to play my VCR through my RXV-2400. I have a Panny TH42PWD6UY as my display, and it's connected to my receiver through the component inputs. If I try watching a signal through my VCR (such as DirecTV), and have my reciever convert it to component for the display, everything works fine. But whenever I try to play a tape through the VCR, the display flickers and often times says 'no signal'. It's as though the receiver is having problems converting the signal properly.

Is anyone else having problems like this? I tried 2 VCR's so I don't think the VCR is the problem. I also tried playing the VCR on another television (regular 27" sony CRT), and it works fine.

What's got me stumped is that I could view the signal through the VCR fine, but only have a problem when trying to play a tape.

-steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its an issue with the sync. I would assume whats happening is the yamaha is changing the frame rate, but I am not sure. Any other ideas anyone.

-Darrel

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perhabs it's caused by Macrovision ?

Have you tried it with self recorded material, or with original movies ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only tried it with self-recorded shows. So I don't think it's a macrovision issue. I'm guessing that by playing a tape, the output is different when just viewing the source material through the VCR?

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve457
I'm guessing that by playing a tape, the output is different when just viewing the source material through the VCR?

Any other ideas?
I have found sometimes, that for some reason a VCR tape playback signal does not like to be converted from it's native output format. I had this happen with a normal VCR that was not a SVHS, when I ran it through a external switcher that could convert a composite signal to a SVHS output, much like what a receiver does when it converts formats from one type to another. And if this is the same problem, then you will have to view the tapes through it's native signal output format, which in your case it is probably composite or possibly SVHS. (as you did not say what VCR it was) Rather than trying to watch it via the converted to component feature, yeah I know that sucks, and defeats the purpose of having a video conversion feature on a receiver. But that's the only way it would work for me, when I ran a VCR through two different brands of switchers that could convert composite to SVHS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The RXV2400 unfortunately does not have any type of Time Base Correction as does the RX-Z9. Playback quality through the component out is a hit or miss possiblity depending on the VCR, whether SVHS or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The VCR I am using is an old Sony, which is probably over 15 years old. When I got it, the thing was top of the line, but it was before SVHS came out.

So if I were to use a newer SVHS vcr, would that solve the problem? If I could pick one up cheap I may give it a shot, otherwise I'll just use the vcr on the older television.

-steve

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve457
So if I were to use a newer SVHS vcr, would that solve the problem?
Not necessarily. But if you do decide to try a SVHS VCR, get it from a place that allows returns. As it may not work either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The top 1/4 of my picture from 'my old Sony VCR' has a rightward slant via component out from the Yamaha so I just don't use component output for that format. Sure, VHS is old, but some of us still have devices that spin vinyl discs and amplify jagged edges of a spiral cut groove to listen to music... though Lp's still sound good, while the picture quality of VHS has always been pretty bad...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Heck, I still use a VCR. Not anywhere near as much as I used to. But I still use it now and then. And I have no desire to go the TIVO route, because I would not use that anymore than I do my VCR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.