AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having an intermittent problem with my Sony 36XBR400. While watching Tivo or VCR the TV is randomly inserting the picture from the secondary (PIP) tuner. When it happens, the audio from the original program is fine, but the video is inserted. I originally thought it was my Tivo because it first happened on that input and the erroneous picture pauses at the same time I hit pause on the Tivo. However, last night the same thing happened to me while watching a VCR program. If I hit Channel Up on the TV remote it will jump to the primary TV tuner. If I then hit the PIP button, I can verify that the erroneous picture is from the second TV tuner. If left alone, the erroneous picture will flicker in and out and sometimes split the screen in half so that the picture is duplicated and squeezed in the upper and lower halves of the screen. Perhaps the odd field squeezed in the upper half and the even field in the lower half?

Has anyone seen this before or know enough about the internal architecture of this set to know what is happening? I've had the set for less than a year, but the problem has only happened three times in the last month, so it would be hard to duplicate for a service tech.

All sources are connected directly to the set.

Panasonic DVD by S-Video

Panasonic S-VHS by S-Video

Philips HDR112 (114hr) by composite video

AT&T Analog Cable 3-way split to TV, VCR, Tivo.

TIA,

- Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could be the occasional stray IR code for PIP wandering into the IR sensor on the front panel - no fun diagnosing this, you must be willing to tape over the sensor and use the front panel controls for a month. If that cured it, you then to get to figure out who is generating the unwanted IR signal.

Failing that, Sony would probably replace one or more boards in the chassis.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Den,

Thanks for the suggestion, but based on what I see, I don't think it's possible to reproduce what it's doing with a remote. How do you get mis-matched audio and video in full screen mode? The "PIP" on this set is done with side-by-side resizable windows.

- Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
gotcha - get those boards swapped under warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.