AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been getting this strange issue with my PS3 hooked up to my Denon AVR-688. When I'm watching Blu-ray movies I'll hear this brief popping noise every so often that I suspect is sound clipping. This usually happens when there's either loud background music going off in the movie or a lot of stuff going on. It happens well enough to annoy the hell out of me. Then I started noticing this was going on in my games too. It wouldn't even wait till there was a lot of stuff going on, if there was music (main menu), it'll have the .5 sec popping noise. On the receiver display, it's in Dolby Digital for these movies and games, even if I change the mode from DD to say stereo, the popping noises continue.

Blu-ray movies tested at this point: The Dark Knight, The Descent, Black Hawk Down

Games tested at this point: Call of Duty 4/5, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, Midnight Club LA

For the above problem I had this setup:

PS3 hooked up to Denon via optical as the AVR-688 doesn't process sound thru HDMI. In the PS3 sound setup, optical is selected and DD, DTS, 2 PCM modes checked with bitstream instead of PCM. The receiver is set on auto detect which mode is present.

So after much googling and tinkering, I came up with the following results:

For the blu-ray movies, if I change from bitstream to PCM the popping noises stop almost completely but did not stop the noises in games. Then I tried all kinds of settings on the receiver but did not help at all. So for the hell of it, I decided to try another 2 games: Killzone 2 and Red Faction: Guerilla. For these 2 games when I load in the receiver displays DTS instead of Dolby Digital as it did for the other games. The funny thing is that there were no sound popping or clipping in either of these 2 games. So I went back into my PS3 audio settings and unchecked Dolby Digital. Now when I go into one of the games that used to have the sound anomalies, the receiver displays Dolby Pro Logic IIx but the noises have stopped. So I suspect something is up with the receiver trying to output in Dolby Digital with those PS3 games.

I want my Dolby Digital back!! Someone tell me wtf is going on!!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
u got a cable box or DVD player you can hook up on the same optical cable to test out what happens when the bitsream dd to the reciever?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzou88 /forum/post/16971983

No I don't but I don't get the issue if I play music or games that automatically go to DTS instead of Dolby Digital.

Well you really need to narrow down your hardware to really focus on where the issue lies. Since your issue happens w/ movies, a dvd player would be you best bet to prove if it's your receiver or not. Have you tried another optical cable?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzou88 /forum/post/16972048

I actually fixed my movie problem by switching from bitstream to PCM, the bigger problem is the popping noises in games.

I could be wrong here.. but If you are hooked up to the receiver via optical you do not want that on PCM, it will only output as 2 channel then. I know there is a chart in one of the PS3 threads under bluray players that has all that info in it.

I actually had a receiver that made odd noises on DTS signals and would just cut out, was just a bad receiver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I have the same issue, and so far, it's only occured during blu-ray movies. Occasionally we'll get a loud "pop" that just makes my wife and I jump out of our seats. It doesn't even have to be during a loud scene, as we were watching "Seven Pounds" last weekend and the pop happened during one of the quieter scenes.

I'm using the PS3's optical digital out into a Yamaha DSP-A1, so an older receiver for sure, but good one (and I don't feel the need to upgrade for TrueHD just yet). I can't remember if I'm running linear PCM or bitstream, but it's whatever one actually gives you audio over optical when watching movies.

The pop is absolutely horrible, and it always makes me worry that it's going to do something nasty to my speakers. I love blu-ray, but the random audio pops always make me worry a little when I put in a new movie.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
maybe its the speakers, I had a similar issue a while back with a dvd player hooked to an older surround avr, turned out that the receiver was too strong for the speakers and after replacing the speakers and also using thicker spearker wire, problem solved

a buddy once had 4ohm surround speakers hooked to a receiver that was only rated for 8 and 6 ohms, he would also get pops now and then, one day his receiver overheated

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did a little further research on this, and if you do a forum search for "DTS Bomb" I think you'll find the answer to what is happening. Basically, some receivers have an issue with DTS-HD and their decoder chips, which causes a gunshot-like burst of sound at some points on certain discs. Not sure if this is what the original poster was talking about, but it's definitely what I'm experiencing, and because my DSP-A1 is relatively ancient, I'm guessing there's no fix for it on my end. It's unfortunate, since this sound really makes me worry about damage to my speakers, and it causes my wife and I to completely jump out of our seats every time we hear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts