AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been having issues with my receiver seemingly randomly going into protection mode. Sometimes this happens within a minute of turning on the unit, sometimes it happens after an hour, and sometimes it can go days without acting up, only to randomly shut off in the middle of a movie.

This problem manifests itself when multiple sources are being used. Apple TV, BR player, and Satellite box.

I have placed fans on top of the unit, so I know I have adequate air circulation, thus the issues are not due to the receiver overheating.

I have unhooked multiple speakers, to try to isolate any grounding issues. I have seen better results with certain speakers unhooked, but I don't think this is really causing the issue.

I had been having a very difficult time replicating the problem until this past weekend. I was watching a youtube video on my Apple TV when the receiver shut off and went into protection mode. I was trying to show some people this particular video, so I played around with some of the speaker wires, unplugging some. I then played the same Youtube video through my Apple TV again, only to have the receiver go into protection mode at the EXACT same spot of the video. No matter how many time I unplugged the receiver and then plugged it back in, it would cut out at the EXACT same part of the video.

The receiver I am using is an Onkyo Receiver, but I swapped it with a new Pioneer, and the Pioneer seemed to go into protection as well. I cannot verify that the Pioneer actually went into protection mode. If this information is necessary to diagnose the problem, I will find out for sure and get back to you.

Please help! Thank you very much.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb112  /t/1524155/strange-random-receiver-protection-issues#post_24526608

bump

Either the AVR is bad, the wiring is bad, or one or more of the speakers are bad.

People aren't going to jump on this question because it was just answered yesterday.

The way to diagnose it is to disconnect all of the speakers and I mean all of the speakers, and run your best quick-fail test.

Then add the speakers back one at a time, rerunning your quick fail test each time you hook up a new speaker.

If your AVR fails with no speakers attached, the problem is the AVR.

Any speaker that makes the AVR fail is probably bad. Speakers have a failure mode where the voice coil overheats and changes shape because it is melted or the varnish is bubling. The voice coil rubs against the magnetic pole piece and causes an intermittant partial or full short which overloads the amp. If you have several copies of the same speaker you may be able to confirm this failure because its impedance will be less than a good one of the same make and model. Or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts