AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved into my house about a month ago, and am trying to finish up all of my wiring. I pre-wired my house while it was being built, and I'm just finishing up with the Leviton modular faceplates right now.

The problem is that a few of the boxes are set too far back in the wall. When I try to screw the faceplate on, the screws aren't long enough to screw into the box. I only need another 1/4 to 1/2 inch on each one.

I know it's a standard 6/32 thread, but I can't find any painted screws with the same head as the faceplates use. I can find the same length of screws, but nothing longer.

Anybody have experience with this or know where I might find some? Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try Graybar over on 9th west and about 2800 S. Or you can also try Royal wholsale that is about 2-3 blocks south of Graybar. They will have whatever length from 1/4" on up to 3" in white for sure and probably ivory and almond.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, neither place has what I need. I can't believe that they would be so difficult to find. Is there anybody out there than can help me out?

Michael

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know it sounds stupid but a simple solution is to just buy a regular 2' or 3' flat head 6/32 screw and use white out on it after you screw it in. You can get white out in many different colors. Of course it works best when the plates are white. If you have custom plates you can always use real paint. Either left overs from the wall paintings or you can try testors model paint. It works wonders and they have hundreds of colors to choose from. I do this all the time on custom installs and never had a cutomer complaint.

hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
We've bought them at Home Depot. Like Techphil says, you can just dab them with white yourself, if you can't find them prepainted.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I, too, bought some extras at Home Depot. They had them in three different lengths (can't recall exact measurements but call 'em short, medium and long) and were available in ivory and white. You can find them in the fasteners/screws/nails aisle in those drawer thingys.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Even with long screws, aren't you going to have a problem with the outlet or switch being behind (not flush) with the faceplates? If the boxes are too, deep you need spacer between the box and the outlet/switch. Then the short faceplate screws will work just fine.

FYI, you can get a pack of the spacers in Lowe's or Home depot. They are kind of a flourescent green color and are usually around the wire nuts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
Even with long screws, aren't you going to have a problem with the outlet or switch being behind (not flush) with the faceplates? If the boxes are too, deep you need spacer between the box and the outlet/switch. Then the short faceplate screws will work just fine.
Actually, it's all low-voltage, so the jacks are built in to the faceplate. So depth isn't a problem.

Still haven't found the screws, but I also couldn't get anybody at Home Depot to help me. I'll give it another shot.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.