AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend. He has a new drum kit, and wants to play it while watching iPod videos on his HT projector. Yes, I've talked to him about the danger of high SPLs. I'm actually purchasing a set of Pro Audo speakers for the non-movie times so he can hear music while playing. I am going to replace the sub as well and will need some pretty good volume from the sub. Fairly large room, about 15 x 30. Want to stay with just one sub. Size not an issue. I want this to go with the theater system as well, so want it to be decent, (so would like to stay away from Pro subs if possible) but keeping up with the pro speakers is first priority. Budget is in the $700 to $1000 range. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts

Quote:
I am going to replace the sub as well and will need some pretty good volume from the sub. Fairly large room, about 15 x 30. Want to stay with just one sub. Size not an issue. ... Budget is in the $700 to $1000 range.
PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)

For a few bucks over your limit: HSU VTF-15H ($879 + $143 (shipping) = $1,022)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks eljaycanuck.

I have purchased an PSA XS for another person. Liked it a lot. But unshure if it would have the "UMPH" in that room. Do you think the ported model will have more volume?

Looked at the HSU also and it looks very good. Just don't have any first hand experience with them. Do you think for the money it would have significantly higher SPL?

Other thoughts?

·
Registered
14,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR5197  /t/1471676/strange-request#post_23288901

Thanks eljaycanuck.

I have purchased an PSA XS for another person. Liked it a lot. But unshure if it would have the "UMPH" in that room. Do you think the ported model will have more volume?

Looked at the HSU also and it looks very good. Just don't have any first hand experience with them. Do you think for the money it would have significantly higher SPL?

Other thoughts?

the xv15 will have 4db more output than the xs15 from 15ish-31hz and 1db more in the mid bass region.

for comparison info on the vtf-15 read here.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/72156-hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer-review-28.html#post870438

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/vtf-15h

you can find xv15 numbers here.

data-bass.com/systems

Looks to me that the hsu vtf-15 has a slight advantage at 20hz in port mode and the xv15 has the slight advantage at 50hz...also the xv15 extends lower(16hz). however when the vtf-15 is in sealed 16hz mode, the xv15 has more output everwhere.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1471676/strange-request#post_23290589

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR5197  /t/1471676/strange-request#post_23288901

Thanks eljaycanuck.

Other thoughts?

the xv15 will have 4db more output than the xs15 from 15ish-31hz and 1db more in the mid bass region.

for comparison info on the vtf-15 read here.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/72156-hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer-review-28.html#post870438

you can find xv15 numbers here.

data-bass.com/systems

Looks to me that the hsu has a slight advantage at 20hz and the xv15 has the slight advantage at 50hz.

The 15H numbers in that review are wrong. Something to the tune of 3db low iirc.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1471676/strange-request#post_23292715

I would say the CHT VS 18.1 is the best based on the numbers for $1000.

Isn't it more than $1000 once you add shipping and an amp:

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=668&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=135
Quote:
The VS-18.1 is available at $890 delivered if you have an amp, or you may want to use any one of the many fine pro audio amps on the market, or $1240 if you want it delivered with a Dayton SA-1000 amplifier for a turn key subwoofer package. Just go to our Subwoofer Amplifier page to choose the amplifier which best serves your needs.

·
Registered
20,173 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.