AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LC-52D64U that I purchased 1.5 to 2 years ago. I have been unable to get sound on 2 of my cable channels. I finally got around to trying to fix it. I should mention I know it's not a MTS/SAP issue . So yesterday I sent a note to Sharp Tech support. Their first advice was to upgrade the firmware which I did today. No change and there still wasn't any sound on the same 2 channels (standard television channels not hidef). After I told them the result was the same the second response I got from them was as follows:

Unfortunately this is a poor signal issue with the unit. It is not able to pick up the audio signal on these certain channels with a coax cable. The coax cable has low signal strength and is not capable of picking up the best audio signal. We recommend that you upgrade to a cable/satellite box, if you haven't already. You will need to replace the coax cable with AV/RCA cables (yellow, white and red). I hope this helps.

Has anybody heard of this before? It sounds like they are recommending I switch from my cable provider to a satellite provider? Every other cable channel works fine for me and every other TV in my house gets sound on the 2 channels that don't work on my Sharp LCD TV.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Didn't say what kind of troubleshooting you've done??

See if you can find an option in the Tv menu to do a factory reset (I know there's one in service mode, but not sure about user level menus). Then force the Tv to do a channel scan (memorize channels). Also have the cable company come out to the house to check signal at that point. Just curious are they analog or digital channels?

Of course if you were to use a DVR/box with your current cable service you would get sound on those channels, better picture and sound (on all analog channels), and more features (pause/record/etc).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good questions. In addition to updating the firmware I also then reset the TV, followed by a new channel scan. Still no sound on the 2 channels (CNN and another one). They are both analog stations but as I said I get sound on these stations with all my other TVs. Is the next step to get the cable company out to check the signal? It seems strange to me that it would be a weak signal since I can get the picture fine and sound for all other stations. Would the signal strength vary by channel over cable? fyi.. close caption works on these 2 stations. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts