AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I think my TV is dying

I have Sampo 34" 720p TV (34WHD5). I have had it for over 5 years now and it has worked reasonably well so far. However, in last couple of weeks, I am having all sorts of issues with this TV.

First, I noticed that the geometry of TV got totally screwed a week ago. I turned on TV one day and find that the horizontal linearity is totally screwed up. People look extremely thin in the middle of the screen and extremely wide at the edges. The problem seems to be with horizontal linearity only - vertically things are fine. All other geometry look good (corners, pincushions etc. etc.).

Then second, I noticed yesterday that some strange smell is coming out of my TV. It is more like a smell of bleach/detergent. It is definitely coming out of TV as I can feel it strongly when I put my nose against the grill in the TV.

I have a service remote of the TV (and there are helpful threads in this forum as to how to use it). I tried to use it and no matter what I do, horizontal linearity problem just isn't going away.

Any idea what could be wrong with this set? Is it something that can be fixed relatively easily? Is it even safe to use with all these smell coming from it?

thanks,

Osho

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am not familiar with that Sampo set but I would definitely not continue to breathe such fumes as there are many substances in electronics (including the plastics used in the chassis) that, when burned, release some pretty nasty stuff. While I definitely am a CRT fan I would say that it might be time to give up on that Sampo, having 720p/1080p is definitely not the end all in owning a CRT HDTV, many consumer models look amazing and can be had for super cheap either on craigslist or sometimes ebay. Also, you may want to consider plasma as Pioneer recently reduced thier ambient black levels by 80%, while it probably is still not CRT good it has definitely peaked my interest in plasma again.

·
Registered
698 Posts
this is kinda out there but if you have a cat or maybe a small dog it could be piss

my cat sits on my CRT computer display because it is warm and once pissed in it it don't sleep there anymore or on my TV but it is possible if piss is left it will turn to ammonia sorta and with a hot CRT it would cook the piss

my aunt and uncle have a older CRT RPTV and a couple of mice pissed and sh*ted inside it and then died and we didn't know what the smell was for 6 years until it stoped working and they had it serviced and they found the bones and stuff it was really nasty and for years it was at the cottage so it wasn't used all the time but we kept it on the inclosed porch and a fan was in the window behind it that was on almost all the time to keep the room cool in the summer we just turned the fan around and the smell went away

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Here is a further update on whatever strange thing is going on with this Sampo TV.

Fortunately, the smell went away. I also noticed that if I change the output format from 720p to 1080i then the geometry distortion is also gone! Any idea what could be wrong with the TV if 720p has terribly geometry but 1080i is OK?

thanks,

osho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.