Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have something strange happening with one DVD - Star Wars II: Attack Of The Clones.

I have a strange case of one DVD consistently causing reboots. I need to find out if I just simply have a defective copy of the DVD.

I have tried Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack (Build 135 in Zoom Player). I have also tried an older copy of WinDVD v3.0 too. Both two DVD players on two separate systems -- consistently cause a spontaneous reboot on just this very one DVD - Star Wars II at very certain places. At the point where the "A long ago in a galaxy far away..." appears, if I try to skip Next Chapter at this point, a spontaneous reboot occur. Doesn't matter which player on which of the two systems!

1. [HTPC] System 1 is Asus A7V266-E with XP1900. WinXP SP1 with Radeon 7500, Catalyst 2.4 drivers.

2. [Development] System 2 is Asus A7V333-E with XP1900. WinXP SP1 with nVidia Geforce2 GTS and DetonatorXP 40.72.

Does these spontaneous reboots happen to you with Star Wars II when you try to do "Next Chapter" while the text "A long ago in a galaxy far away..." is displayed?

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Hi Mark,

I tried it on my WinXP SP1 pc and it advanced with no reboot. I used WinDV 2.8

I've heard of, and have in the past suffered from this spontaneous reboot situation, and there is a reason behind it, but I can't remember what it is (Doh!). It seems to be XP specific too.

Hope that helps (though I doubt it...)

Edit - mine was the Region 4 version, so that might well nullify my test...

Gary

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Does the version of Star Wars 2 you have contain multiple angles? Eg. is there different language "A Long Time ..." with the text scrolling out into space?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Not that I am able to see -- but this really stumps me.

Does any other Zoom + CinePlayer Decoder Pack users, have this problem?

I certainly can always use my HOLO3D to play this title, but I don't like to see these reboots for any reason, and will replace components to avoid that. (If that turns out to be the answer)

·
Registered
82 Posts
no, no reboot with cineplayer 1.5 and zoom.

BUT my audio dies if I do that. does not do that anywhere else that I have

noticed.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
I had a case with my copy after it got to the second layer (around chapter 30) when ever it reached the end of a chapter it would start at the beginning of the chapter instead of going on to the next one. I could manually chapter up however. I took the DVD out and cleaned it with a little water and a dust-free cloth. Now it works fine!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hmm, I'm not able to recreate this. I'm using the windows DVD Navigator with the Sonic CineMaster 1.5 video and the WinDVD 4.0 audio filters. My video filter build is 2.5.03.0784. So, maybe try updating your Sonic Video filters, otherwise I would guess that its the Audio filter or maybe you are using a different DVD Navigator?

Below is the dvdgraph I use.

DanW

DefineFilter(iviaudio.ax)

DefineFilter(CinemasterVideo.dll)

LoadFilter({70E102B0-5556-11CE-97C0-00AA0055595A},Video Renderer)

LoadFilter({79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767},Default DirectSound Device)

LoadFilter({CD8743A1-3736-11D0-9E69-00C04FD7C15B},Overlay Mixer)

LoadFilter({7E2E0DC1-31FD-11D2-9C21-00104B3801F6},InterVideo Audio Decoder)

LoadFilter({6E8D4A20-310C-11D0-B79A-00AA003767A7},Line 21 Decoder)

LoadFilter({D7D50E8D-DD72-43C2-8587-A0C197D837D2},Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder)

LoadFilter({9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48},DVD Navigator)

ConnectPin(DVD Navigator,Video,Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder,Video in)

ConnectPin(DVD Navigator,AC3,InterVideo Audio Decoder,In)

ConnectPin(DVD Navigator,SubPicture,Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder,Subpicture in)

ConnectPin(InterVideo Audio Decoder,Out,Default DirectSound Device,Audio Input pin (rendered))

ConnectPin(Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder,Video Out,Overlay Mixer,Input0)

ConnectPin(Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder,CC Out,Line 21 Decoder,In)

ConnectPin(Line 21 Decoder,Out,Overlay Mixer,Input2)

ConnectPin(Overlay Mixer,Output,Video Renderer,In)

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already use the latest build 135 of the Sonic Cinemaster DLL's, so I can't see it being the problem. I doublechecked and the DLL's are 2.5.03.0784 too.

mhench, thanks for the clue. If the sound dies, it sounds like maybe, just maybe, it is my sound drivers. I am currently using the C-Media motherboard based sound on both systems at the moment. (I'm deaf so can't enjoy the benefits of sound as much as all of you can, and so my sound is usually at the bottom of the list of home theater priorities.)

I am now going to try adding the M-Audio 24/96 which I have lying around, which I was keeping when I get a new sound system (to keep guests happy :))

This may be the cincher. Let's see what happens.

I may also try using alternate WinDVD audio filters as well, but as of right now, I only have WinDVD 3.0 lying around and that still causes problems.

One of these days, I'll get a D-Box Odyssee system.... That's the ultimate system for somebody like me ;)

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Mark:

Two systems:

Soyo P4 Dragon Dragon Ultra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz: Lose Audio on chapter skip

Soyo AMD KT333 Dragon Ultra CM 8738: Lose Audio on chapter skip

Vern Dias

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The clue was in the sound.

I just switched to the M-Audio 24/96 card and that stopped the crashing. I think I still lose audio, but it is still much better than total crash / spontaneous reboot / STOP error. Sounds like Microsoft still needs to work on this! Guys, the latest C-Media sound driver from Windows Update is unstable crap with Star Wars II. Don't even use it as a "dummy driver".

The other day, I had some unstable DDR266 RAM sticks that made my system crash. Now all the crashing has stopped....finally. *whew*

Audio Driver manufacturers, you've got your ultimate torture test disc -- Star Wars II DVD!

·
Registered
423 Posts
maybe this explains my experience playing sweii:aotc on my asus p4b266 using the onboard c-media sound and winxp, zoomplayer, and the cineplayer 1.5. i can play the movie fine, but after about an hour, the movie starts to slow down (as if some other program is sucking up cpu time) and comes to a complete halt. it almost looks like the system is halted, but actually i can move the mouse around and get some menus to pop up, but with a huge delay.

i had to hard reboot and started watching the movie again from the point where it froze. after another hour or so i had the same problem, but i actually "caught" it in time--i stopped and quit zoomplayer, and the system didn't freeze, but when i restarted zoomplayer, the movie wouldn't play.

bob

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am having nothing but trouble with the WinDVD audio filters under ZP. I have any and all of the problems others have described here, on various disks. My suspicion is that WinDVD audio is not fully compatible with quartz.dll which is why WinDVD itself uses its own ivinav.ax DVD navigator.

Is anybody here having problems when using an audio filter which is not WinDVD? Please post either way.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
What version of WinDVD have you got?

I had audio problems with Zoomplayer and WinDVD 2.3, but upgrading to 2.6, then 2.8 cured 95% of those problems. I have a 3.2 upgrade to try, so that might cure the odd disk that won't play sound with Zoomplayer.

WinDVD plays fine on its' own.

HTH

Gary

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have WinDVD version 4.0.11.187 currently but the problem also happened with earlier instances of WinDVD4. Just to be clear, the 'freezing'/'resetting to root menu' problems arise only when using WinDVD filters under Zoom Player 2.90. The WinDVD player plays fine on its own. Also, Zoom Player seems stable enough with my alternative filter combination which is CoolDVD.

Basically I am trying to figure out whether it is a common experience that WinDVD filters are unstable under Zoom Player, or whether it is something specific to my setup. I have tried changing virtually every setting I can think of, apart from changing operating systems. I am using DirectX 8.1b (I refuse to 'upgrade' to 9.0), but had the same problems with 8.1. Blight is suggesting that instability is inherent in WinME. Personally I think it is WinDVD filters under ZP that is causing the problem. Maybe I should post a poll.

BTW Gary, I checked out your site. I would say you have a blue push on your projector and you need to fit an orange filter - either FL-Day or Hoya 81C might be good for you.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
No issues with WinDVD audio and ZP here. WinXP, DX8.2, SP1.

I normally run Sonic CP1.5 Video, WinDVD 4 Audio, ffdshow, Using WDM CMedia drivers Version 5.12.1.639.

Mark, try the drivers from the CMedia Site, not the MS version.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks, Vern Dias

I have likewise narrowed it down to a problem with the WinDVD audio filter and/or my audio drivers. I can even produce a "Cannot change state" error when simply playing under GraphEdit, so I do not think ZP is to blame.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vern,

Good idea, but I had the M-Audio 24/96 lying around so I'll keep using that. Actually due to work, I don't have much time to watch movies these days, but I really had to figure out what was going on, since Star Wars II tends to be a demo / test DVD these days. :)

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Hi Inti,

thanks for looking at my site. :)

The pics look blue, but the images from the pj don't - no blue tint at all, that's why I think it's down to the developing of the photos. I might use a digital camera to see how that comes out - the original pics were taken with a Canon A1 and Canon 35-70mm lens.

Just remembered - I pushed a 200ASA film to 400, so maybe that's why there's a blue tint to the pics - they were developed by my local chemist shop using a one day service, and they sometimes didn't follow the instructions regarding the 'incorrect' exposure.

Cheers.

Gary.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
On my P3-800/XPsp1/DX8.1 machine, it plays flawlessly until Chapter 27, where it freezes PDVDXP & ZP 2.90. I cannot play Chapter 27 from menu either. I cannot play Chapter 27 at all (player just locks, have to ctl-alt-del the app). And Chapter 28 stutters and skips severely for the first minute. Throughout the rest of the movie (after Ch28) I get audio/video micro-freezes about every 6 to 10 minutes. It's like the 2nd layer is flawed.

Hammer

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
If there are no obvious scratches on the DVD, it's more likely, your DVD drive is getting marginal. I have seen these kind of issues before, replacing the DVD drive has always fixed them.

Vern

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.