Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

After almost 2 months of waiting, finally today i've got my Panny 300!!

It was 4 of us who had ordered it so we gathered at the shop and

we could see our machines before buying them in case there were some dead pixels or other probs.

Needless to say we were astonished by the quality of the 300 especially for the fact that you can't see the pixel grid anymore!

We tested the vpj's with a test disc with colors...red...green..blue...etc...

no dead pixel on any machine.

We also tested them with some movie bits...everything was good, great colours and everything even if they all were "factory default".

Then I noticed on on a grey screen too that there are like "pixels" but the size is about 4 pixels and it's like "fainty green" and i could see some more like on top of the screen, some on the left and some others around....like if it was, for example, like "pixels" sprayed on a surface...

During the vision of the film or at a certain distance you can't see them at all so it's not annoying...though we wonder what they could be!

We tried 3 machines and they all had this kind of "problem". It's not stuck pixels or they'd be of a vivid green colour..if they were dead one would see the missing pixel...so we really wonder if any of you owner of the 300 had had a similar experience and could please tell me what it could be!

I wouldn't have taken the machine if i hadn't seen all the other machines there had the same thing!

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fingolfin,

I have seen what you are referring to as well. At first I thought they were stuck pixels but I happen to think now it is just dust. I think that the smooth screen prism may have something to do with why they look so well defined like it is a stuck pixel, as this prism focuses each pixel into the 4 subpixels. I have no idea if this is correct, just my theory. I have had these appear and disappear at times though (not in the same place), and again, you can't notice from normal viewing distance.

One day I will open up the PJ an clean the panels but for now I can't notice any problem when watching movies.

Darren

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
It sounds like a dust blob to me, however I find it strange that all 3 projectors had the same problem. There is lots of good info on dust blobs here so just do a search. Heres one link as a starting point. Good luck and enjoy your new pj.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=dust+blob

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your kind replies!

To me it sounds like dust blobs too but it's strange that the shape of these "blobs" are perfectly geometric and cover the area of like 4 pixel square or so. I have seen a Panny 100 with dust blobs and their shape was not square but round, more similar to a stain.

I have experienced also the thing that they seem to go and come sometimes! That's really strange!

I would open my projector and clean the panel but i'm too scared to make it worse!!! Plus I'd lose the warranty on the machine when it's just 1 day old!

So I guess I'll have to live with this problem...

Thanks again!!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
315 Posts
These aren't exactly "dust blobs" either.

I think you'll find my thread on this very topic a good read and decent explanation of the "phenomenon."

Now can anybody else see those annoying VERTICLE lines during bright scenes?

-Tim

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can also see those lines. I went from a Draper screen to one that I painted myself and found that the lines weren't as bad. So maybe it's worse depending on the type of screen.

~ Jay

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Fingolfin, you can scroll through the individual RGB panels, and a gray screen, through the service mode as well. Go to Menu on the remote, Options, OSD (hold the enter button down at this point for about 4 seconds). You'll then enter a sub-menu where you can scroll down to Service Mode, enter, and use the left/right arrows to scroll through the respective color panels.

I checked for dead/stuck pixels this way. Didn't have either, but I didn't see what you are describing on the gray screen. I did see the light green on a unit I had that did have dead pixels on the blue panel. A block of pixels was black when viewing the native blue panel, and the same area was green when viewing the gray screen.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for your help and support!

Seems like my problem is the same as the one experienced by Timoteo.

This is not so good even if acceptable since this problem doesn't affect the vision of the movie in any way. Panasonic should have cleaner production lines I guess.

Many thanks to bubbawilly for the hint about the secret menu! I'll check that out tomorrow!!! I don't think i have any dead pixel but i'll check better!!

thanks again!!

Fingolfin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, it's more of a psychological problem (at least for me) more than anything. However, I have forgotten completely about them (thanks for reminding me! ;) ), and have just been enjoying movies ... except for when those darn verticle lines appear.

The good news is you can surely blow them out when you go to blow out any "real" dust blobs that come up in the future.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Jay:

That's probably very true. I'm using a Da-Lite High Power, and while colors, etc. look gorgeous, it does tend to show you EVERYTHING. And I wouldn't doubt if it included those verticle lines ... whatever they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.