AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time post.

I bought my 73732 in April of 07, it was a floor model at CompUSA when they were closing their retail stores. I got a really good price, or so I thought... Most of the issues I have had I have chalked up to the TV being a floor model. In December of 07 It required a new bulb, no biggie, right? Two months later, the light engine went out; at least I was still in my first year. Turns out, the repair shop informed me that Mitsubishi changed the warranty period from 1 to three years for the LE. The TV worked great for almost two years! Then the light went out again, I replaced it with an official Mitsu product, don't want to do anything to void my warranty on the LE! So far, so good. Until just recently the picture started to look funny. Remember when your computer monitor is set to 16 colors and the blue shades have definite seperation? There is no smooth transition from light blue to dark blue? Or any color for that matter? That's what my TV is doing now! I have not been able to find anyone else with this same problem, have any of you?

TIA,

Stan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, New poster here as well.

I recently acquired a WD-73732 (Pulled it out of trash). The picture on this unit is beautiful for about 1 hour then it goes bad. Colors are off similar to your description, but I also get some jumping / flickering of the picture. With the back off, the set lasts for about 1 1/2 hours before this starts. I've heard people say it's the light engine, others say it's the DM board. Initial tests with freeze spray got me nowhere. I'm going to try to accelerate the failure with a heat gun to try to localize it. My next step will be to remove the complete chassis, and run it on the bench. Has anyone done any troubleshooting on these to try and localize the failing component/s? Many of these (mine included), look to be a thermal condition. I figure I'll give it a shot, and see what I can find. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally got a chance to disassemble my 73 Mitsu. I put everything on the bench, hooked up some test equipment, and let it run. In about 45 minutes, the picture started having color problems, and flashing. I saw the waveform on the color wheel's sensor was all distorted, so I removed the color wheel housing cover, and hit the sensor with a small amount of freeze spray. The picture immediately went back to normal as did the waveform. With the cover off the color wheel housing, the picture was fine for the rest of the night. This sensor is obviously failing from the extreme heat being held in that housing. When I removed the cover, I could feel the heat coming out. Bad design.

First, I'm going to try and ID, then source a replacement sensor, then I'm going to try and do something to reduce the temperature inside that housing.

I'm going to run the set to failure one more time, but this time I will be monitoring the temperature inside the color wheel housing.

Just figured you guys would like to know.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.