AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's a strange one. Maybe a disc problem. it's on my oldest utv, from 2001 with a larger disc I replaced probably in 2002.

It was recording some shows (ncaa basketball) and I was watching a recorded show.

I checked the menu, and everything said, to be announced. All upcoming recordings are gone. They seem to have been moved to the history list which says the event didn't record because sat rec did not have power. Both tuners seem to be working. The items in history all have a date of tue jul 14.

And.... the date on the screen is now also tue jul 14, but with the right time.

Anyone ever seen this? Do I need to do a full blown reset?

I did the 12357 reset. This fixed it for about 1/2 hour.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would unplug for a while and see what happens. That's what I usually do when strangeness happens and it usually cures it.

kazak

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've ran into the "did not have power" error before. (When it did indeed have power) I REALLY don't like that one.

Can't say I've seen it with UTV OS 3.7/3.8 recently. I recall once (with OS 3.5 I think... before it had the "Standby" Record option? UTV was "ON" while recording) where I was recording American Dreams and for some reason it was "froze" on recording NBC and it was not responding so I had to do a reboot. Lost all my other recordings from that night (tuners didn't "switch") at the designated time...

If the reboot/cool down reset doesn't "fix" it I might do a search in the UTV Forum Archive. I do recall discussing a few "no power" events that might narrow down what was/is causing it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the power plug for a few minutes, and it hasn't hiccuped since, however, all my series records haven't found anything to record, but my auto records are now repopulating the upcoming recordings list.

It's as though it had the wrong date (which it did!) and so figured that everything that had been scheduled had, indeed, not been able to record at the scheduled time cause it thinks that from march 21 thru july 14 the power was off. But the series records seem to all think that they have already checked the guide info and don't need to look ahead.

I replaced one series record, and it did find the future shows. So, maybe i'll have to just replace all the existing series records.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was originally going to suggest that the station(s) might have "updated" the guide info. causing some kind of glitch that would confuse the series/auto record settings.

So if your previous Series records are "different" from the "new" ones... that might explain the issue. Did DTV update/change your channel layout? Might require some digging to find out...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That jul 14 date is still in the middle of my history list. One show, 20/20 I went to in the guide and did the 2 click series record and both the old entry and this new entry were in the series record lists, the new one showing 2 shows upcoming and the old one still there with no shows upcoming. So, i just deleted the old one.

At least it seems to be working. I was dreading having to try to remember how to put the hacked version of 3.8 (with the buffer info) onto a new disc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine did the same thing with the guide, came up with all "to be announced".

It is a UTV I put a bigger drive on years ago and I let it update itself online.

I unplugged for a while and when it came back up the guide loaded up. Probably adding channels to the guide. I had to do a couple fo fixes to my scheduled recording list.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same thing happened here; we have 4 ULT TV's in the house, however 3 of them only have 1 tuner left; in any case 2 of them showed the "July 14" date & "to be announced" all through the guide while the other 2 remained normal? Very strange indeed. Anyway just pulled the plug for 5 minutes on those 2 & everything went back to normal though as has been noted, I had to set up all the series records again. Good to see there are a few of us still left hanging on to their Ult tv units! I just bought a 40" Samsung LCD & though not HD it actually looks pretty good once you calibrate everything. Best DVR to this date I would say!! Take care everyone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I guess misery loves company - if others saw the same events then I guess my hardware is still going ok. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts