AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first of all, I am not using X-10 in my home theater. However, I have a fair amount of X-10 stuff that I get out every year at Christmas to control all of the Christmas lights. Applicance modules for the outside lights and dimmer modules for the tree and some of the room lamps. This year I hooked it all up and everything ran fine. Set the timers on the X10 transmitter and the lights come on and go off just as planned. Then, the last couple of nights, I seem to have no control. None of the 3 different circuits came on with the timer. I tried manually turning them on at the control panel and after 5 or 6 presses of the button, a circuit finally comes on. Same trouble to turn it off. This is with the transmitter plugged into the same outlet as the receiver unit. I tried a different transmitter and tried moving the control channels to different letters and numbers but still no positive control. I checked the house to make sure nothing strange like fluorescents was running. Sounds to me like there may be some sort of noise on the line that is interfering with the signal. Any suggestions on what to try or where to look would be appreciated. I didn't get out a scope to look at the power line.

..Doyle

·
Registered
63 Posts
Doyle,

I had a similar problem at one time. To make a long story short I had a bad power supply on a computer generating noise. The easiest way to find the problem is to shut off all breakers in the house except the one with the transmitter and receiver. Make sure the light responds (it should) and then begin turning the breakers back on one at a time trying the light each time until you find the suspect circuit. You then need to determine what is on that circuit and shut off those items until you find the source of the noise.

P.S. I have X-10 all over my house including the home theater and have very few problems. My only problem come from cheap X-10 switches

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have also had similar problems! After talking to the great folks at Worthington Distribution, I figured out that my new surge protector was preventing the signals from getting through to the receivers. I unpluged the surge protector and all worked fine. I now have a Leviton 5950 surge protector on order. They also indicated that some of the cheaper plug-in modules can be problematic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.