AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
That promo video should win an award for compelling the viewer to watch this show. And join Netflix if not a subscriber. BTW, I'm in.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I'll probably give it a go this weekend, I checked it about midnight last night (Eastern) and it wasn't up. Some shows start at midnight eastern, but this one was midnight pacific time, couldn't stay up that late. I've got to finish off Limitless, about 3 episodes to go, it's a shame Netflix didn't pick it up. That's off topic, I'll give it a shot, Netflix has been doing pretty well lately with their own shows, not sure I would even look at this one, if it wasn't a Netflix original.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I binge watched season 1 yesterday and really loved it. I thought it had a "Super 8" feel with a touch of "The Goonies" and "Stand by Me" thrown in, but a bit darker. It truly has a 1980's movie feel to it. Very well done.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I binge watched season 1 yesterday and really loved it. I thought it had a "Super 8" feel with a touch of "The Goonies" and "Stand by Me" thrown in, but a bit darker. It truly has a 1980's movie feel to it. Very well done.
I am a little more than half way through and I like it as well. Has more a "Poltergeist" vibe to me. I have a few problem with it that I'll put in a spoiler box so as not to ruin anything. Also, as someone who grow up in the early 80s, I don't remember so many androgynous looking people. I can't tell if half the boy are girls or vice versa. What really helps is that for the most part all the kid actor are pretty good. Nothing ruins a good show like a bad kid actor. IE The Strain, Walking Dead etc.

The major problem I have so far is that tripping on LSD in an isolation tank can somehow open a portal to another dimension. And why does that dimension have decrepit swimming pools. Were there humans in the other dimension at one time? Maybe this will be answered later. Also, I absolutely hate when characters don't logically talk to other. Why not tell the Mom that thinks she is nuts, that you have a photo of the faceless monster she described. Minor criticisms are they did not have LED lighting like in that hazmat suit and some of the 80s music seems crammed in and doesn't fit the scene. Still, I am enjoying it during the summer lull in programming.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I got sucked in quickly! Figured to watch an episode or two yesterday and ended up watching the whole series. Just enough suspense and creepiness to make me want to see that next episode.

I noticed that 'goonies' similarity too, very well done.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I am loving this show. The 80s vibe, the music, the acting are so spot on. Reminds a bit of Super 8.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I'm not feeling the love other posters have for this show.

Watched first episode - awful casting, acting and directing.

A poor mashup of ET, Goonies and any other 80's movies with child actors.

It just wasn't for me. Enjoy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm not feeling the love other posters have for this show.

Watched first episode - awful casting, acting and directing.

A poor mashup of ET, Goonies and any other 80's movies with child actors.

It just wasn't for me. Enjoy.
Absolutely - I'm in!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Winona's performances seem weak. Entertaining show otherwise.
Ah, she wasn't too bad, she was a frantic single mom, irritating, I thought she played the part ok. I enjoyed the whole thing. El was a trip. I don't normally watch these type shows, but like I said before, if it's a Netflix original I tried to always check them out and I'm glad I did.

Are there any plans to continue the series?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Digging it and the soundtrack

Reactions: ltownsend

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that was excellent. Sooooo good. Great blend with the kids yet serious parts. Funny, yet suspenseful. Just well done overall. Wish there were more episodes, that was way to short for me.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Very good show. As noted earlier, many nods to other shows/mini-series. The sheriff did the Mulder tearing apart his apartment looking for a bug routine. Alt-dimension had a Silent Hill type of vibe. Also something of a Stand by Me theme. Good job.

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
I'm a couple episodes in. Really digging it. Love the Goonies, Super 8, X- Files feel.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
When we on the mid 40's had that age on the early 80's it just comes around!

I have no idea how they figured out it was a girl and not a boy when they met "Eleven" LOL since she wasn't talking much.

Winona plays crazy quite good

Our "Martine" playing a housewife was quite different role though

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

I have no idea how they figured out it was a girl and not a boy when they met "Eleven" LOL since she wasn't talking much.

Agreed about the girl, I had no idea and I was surprised how everyone picked up on it so quick. Even talking wasn't that much of a giveaway to me.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts

Spoiler alert. Lol

1 - 20 of 478 Posts