AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I started having odd issue with my flea.

Now today it hit the climax.

When my satellite receiver is plugged in via hdmi, it looses power, the blue power light goes off. If I unplug my receivers hdmi cable from the flea, power goes back to my flea.

My blue ray player works fine with it if its plugged in.

Stranger when my receiver powers up (i do full restart) I get picture thats its finding a transponder, once it finds the transponder and is about to go to the picture, bam flea turns off/looses power.

Can anyone offer suggestion about this, I contact algolith hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually the problem is it looses power when i send it anything above 480i. Still very weird.

I thought it was just my receiver because i had a dvd in my blue ray player outputting 480i. But when i insert a blue ray it looses power.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried 3 different ones, sadly nothing.

Whenever i send it 480i it works great, send it 1080i and screen goes blank, and the blue power light goes out.

I never used the flea with 480i but since i received my oppo i have been using source direct for the odd dvd, and somehow i believe its now stuck their.

I really hope algolith will help me out, i dont mind even paying some money to fix it, but i also dont want to pay for another one, or even try to locate another.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think Algolith is no longer working with this.

If you would like an analog Mosquito for a very low price, let me know.
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke to algolith micheal is great, they are reliable. I spoke with micheal before about it.

He is sending me a replacement. I had to give serial number, ect..

He thinks it might been a heat issue, could be. I have it on a computer fan. He said he never heard of this before, so it could have been entirely mine getting to hot. Even though its on a pc fan it still gets really hot in my cabinet.

Im getting a new receiver for xmas, this will let me sell my amp as well which runs hot and give me more room in the cabinet, so im going to make sure their is much more airflow now. The flea does run hot, but when its on a pc fan and theirs airflow it runs pretty cool.

Question for other owners. The map button on my keeps sticking. originally they told me it can be fixed if i send it in and they can fix it. Then it went away for a year. Then it came back. I brought it up and they mentioned its a bug now.

Has any other flea owner had this issue? Im not aware of anyone having this issue except me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I keep mine sitting in front of my tv with complete clearance on all sides. Others here have also commented on how hot the Flea gets so I would recommend people give it good ventilation. Good to know Algolith support is still there. The Flea was an amazing bang for your buck in the pre-Edge days, and is still a decent unit a few years later.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/19531628

Spoke to algolith micheal is great, they are reliable. I spoke with micheal before about it.

He is sending me a replacement. I had to give serial number, ect..

He thinks it might been a heat issue, could be. I have it on a computer fan. He said he never heard of this before, so it could have been entirely mine getting to hot. Even though its on a pc fan it still gets really hot in my cabinet.

Im getting a new receiver for xmas, this will let me sell my amp as well which runs hot and give me more room in the cabinet, so im going to make sure their is much more airflow now. The flea does run hot, but when its on a pc fan and theirs airflow it runs pretty cool.

Question for other owners. The map button on my keeps sticking. originally they told me it can be fixed if i send it in and they can fix it. Then it went away for a year. Then it came back. I brought it up and they mentioned its a bug now.

Has any other flea owner had this issue? Im not aware of anyone having this issue except me.

It would get very hot and shut down on me sometimes when inputting 1080i. It would only shut down after prolonged usage and only with 1080i. Once cooled down, everything reverted to normal.

A new replacement, huh? Very cool on Algolith's part.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got the new replacement.

Turns out it was the power supply. Micheal suspected might be a power supply issue. Unfortunately the one he included the prongs are not of this world (or not north american) so i luckely found one for my lite book (sun light thingy) and it worked.

Now i have two, but my old one (from cpat) has the button map sticking issue so i may just retire it. Dont think its worth much when the map button needs to be turned off constantly.

How in the world though was it the power supply? How does a power supply work for 480i but cant handle hd? Does the device ask for more power current or something for hd?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts