AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I'm in the process of upgrading my HTPC from WIN XP to WIN 7. I would like to take advantage of the Media Center aspect of W7 for my movie collection. I'm trying to get rid of the DVDs that I've got on the shelves on the wall. If I had a few ripped DVD-R disks, what's the preferred method to transfer them from DVD-R to a storage device (server, NAS, etc.)

I've also been reading that there is an option to upconvert SD DVDs to 1080p using FFDSHOW. I've got a 60" Sony 1080i TV for my display. Is this something that I should/could do as well at this time?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 /forum/post/18285223

Hello-

I'm in the process of upgrading my HTPC from WIN XP to WIN 7. I would like to take advantage of the Media Center aspect of W7 for my movie collection. I'm trying to get rid of the DVDs that I've got on the shelves on the wall. If I had a few ripped DVD-R disks, what's the preferred method to transfer them from DVD-R to a storage device (server, NAS, etc.)

I've also been reading that there is an option to upconvert SD DVDs to 1080p using FFDSHOW. I've got a 60" Sony 1080i TV for my display. Is this something that I should/could do as well at this time?

Thanks

if they are playable copies than you should be able to rerip them to the hdd.

as far as upscaling goes, sd dvds are upscaled to whatever your output resolution is when you play them, you can refine that using ffdshow or some other decoder.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you just ripped the iso image to dvd-r you shouldn't have a problem ripping them to folder with anydvd or dvdfab. It should work just like the other dvd's.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Since some of the DVDs are already "ripped" to a recordable DVD then you don't need to re-rip them. All you have to do is copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive since the copy protection was already removed. The only reason to rip a disc is to remove the copy protection from a retail disc and you would need a program such as AnyDVD or DVDFab.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I knew that I wouldn't have to re-rip the DVDs, but my question was more geared to whether or not I should change the format of the file to XXX (i.e. DVR-MS, .avi, etc.) I would like to maintain the same video and audio quality that I have on the DVD, I'm just trying to make use of a clean interface (library) for the collection.

Any suggestions on a "library" management type of application? I've been trying to read up on My Movies and the others that are available. I'm trying to make sure that once I start copying the VIDEO_TS folder to the HDD, I won't have to go back and pull the content off of the DVD based on the application that would be used to manage the video library.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 /forum/post/18287955

Thanks for all of the replies. I knew that I wouldn't have to re-rip the DVDs, but my question was more geared to whether or not I should change the format of the file to XXX (i.e. DVR-MS, .avi, etc.) I would like to maintain the same video and audio quality that I have on the DVD, I'm just trying to make use of a clean interface (library) for the collection.

Any suggestions on a "library" management type of application? I've been trying to read up on My Movies and the others that are available. I'm trying to make sure that once I start copying the VIDEO_TS folder to the HDD, I won't have to go back and pull the content off of the DVD based on the application that would be used to manage the video library.

Thanks.

i would stick to video_ts. What OS you have will determine what kind of library management gets recommended.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I was going to go out and get a copy of Windows 7. In the reading that I've been doing, it seems that others are having good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just rip it to a folder as everyone said. You want seperate folders for each movie as once you add meta data you are going to have multiple files as well so thinking that a single file matters doesnt. You will end up with quite a few files in each folder but its neat since they are all a seperate folder for each movie. Its easy to work with as well as your collection expands you can seperate into genres or whatever. media browser doesnt like a bunch of files in a single folder unless its a tv series so its best to do this no matter what.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you are only ripping SD-DVDs, rip them to Video_TS, as Win7 MC will natively see and play them as-is. You will not need any sort of collection management software, unless you really want it. And, as ogormask noted, put each one in its own folder (i.e., C:\\DVD Rips\\Blow\\Video_TS; ...\\Cars\\Video_TS; etc, etc).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I've got a few of the DVDs working. I'm using Media Browser, which is pretty cool. I'm also using Salami's media organizer which also is slick.

I've got a few TV/Series DVDs....and can't quite figure out how to handle them. I've seen people ripping the entire DVD to a folder, and just using the built in menus, while others are converting to another format, and ripping each individual episode as it's own file (like S01E01.xxx, etc.)

Any thoughts on a preferred method?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts