AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a newb into the whole home theatre set ups....

I'm trying to decide on a budget reciever under $300 CDN that can do HDMI Audio (PCM).

My list has narrowed down to the

STRDG720 for $228 or the Yamaha HTR-6140 for $299.

My set up consists of:

XBOX 360 w/ HDMI connections

Sony BR (350)

Shaw HD PVR

Westinghouse W4207 TV monitor (only one HDMI input).

I'd like to use the AVR to handle all 3 HDMI sources so the Sony has the advantage there since it has 3 HDMI inputs. Having said that though, I do have an HDMI switcher from Monoprice that I could use (assuming that there is no signal degradation with using it). My HDMI cables are all 3 foot cables if that helps.

If I go with the Yamaha I was thinking I could do this:

1) BR Player to 6140 through HDMI

2a) Monoprice Switch to 6140 through HDMI

2b) XBOX 360 to the Monoprice switch through HDMI

2c) Shaw HD PVR to the Monoprice switch through HDMI

3) 6140 output to the Westy 4207 to it's one HDMI input.

I don't have any speakers yet as this will be a work in progress build up. Well, that's not entirely true. I do have the BOSE cubes with sub that I inherited from my parents that will be the speakers until I save up enough cash to get a true surround sound. We also live in a condo so space is limited (as well as some common courtesy for not having a loud system).

I know Sony's gotten a bad rap around some places but there are some good as well. Yamaha seems to be strictly good reviews/praise.

Are there other pros/cons that I need to consider before choosing one over another?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I decided to go with the Yamaha 6140. Also got an Energy 5.1 setup.

Movies and TV through the the 6140 sound awesome. What I'm trying to get to sound nice is an Ipod through the front V-Aux jack (the single one like for headphones). The sound only comes out from the 2 front speakers..so there is very minimal bass. What do I need to do besides buy the proprietary IPOD dock to get sound all around, specifically bass?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just stumbled onto this thread by searching. The decisions you made are the same ones I am making now(6140 and Energy 5.1 C50/CC50/C300/8). I am also trying to decide on the same two receivers. I only need 2 HDMI inputs though(ps3, cable).

Does the 6140 output component video to the HDMI out port? I plan to hook the wii up and would prefer to not plug it into the TV input and have to juggle sound settings for the TV and the Receiver.

How good are the Energy speakers? For someone new to HT I expect to be very impressed. Were you?

Any hints or gotchas would be appreciated about the setup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How about the Sony STRDG720 7.1 or the Pioneer VSX-918V ? I need some advise on making a this decision. I appreciate your advise. Thanks!!

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa /forum/post/16051579

I just stumbled onto this thread by searching. The decisions you made are the same ones I am making now(6140 and Energy 5.1 C50/CC50/C300/8). I am also trying to decide on the same two receivers. I only need 2 HDMI inputs though(ps3, cable).

Does the 6140 output component video to the HDMI out port? I plan to hook the wii up and would prefer to not plug it into the TV input and have to juggle sound settings for the TV and the Receiver.

How good are the Energy speakers? For someone new to HT I expect to be very impressed. Were you?

Any hints or gotchas would be appreciated about the setup.

Check out Amazon.com. The C100's are only $120/pair. At Buy.com the CC100 is only $113!!!!!!

I have had Energy speakers for years and years. Went from the C3's for my fronts to now the C500's, moving my C3's to rear duty. Just ordered the CC100 from buy.com as I only had the XLC100 for my center. Love energy speakers. The C3 bookshelves are still my favorite speaker ever
If the C100's are anything close to the C3's, that is a great price.

Im looking at the 6140 for a bedroom receiver. Does this pass audio through HDMI or just video? Havent really followed Yamaha receivers. Im an Onkyo guy but this sounds good if it passes audio through HDMI as well.

·
Banned
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms /forum/post/16083205

Check out Amazon.com. The C100's are only $120/pair. At Buy.com the CC100 is only $113!!!!!!

I have had Energy speakers for years and years. Went from the C3's for my fronts to now the C500's, moving my C3's to rear duty. Just ordered the CC100 from buy.com as I only had the XLC100 for my center. Love energy speakers. The C3 bookshelves are still my favorite speaker ever
If the C100's are anything close to the C3's, that is a great price.

Im looking at the 6140 for a bedroom receiver. Does this pass audio through HDMI or just video? Havent really followed Yamaha receivers. Im an Onkyo guy but this sounds good if it passes audio through HDMI as well.

let us know how the CC100 works out for you, i was looking at them recently

1 - 6 of 6 Posts