AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I originally posted this in the receiver forum, but no one responded to it and it got buried so I'm posting it here, instead. Hopefully, one of you will have some insight!

I currently have a very old Sony STRDE635 receiver that I finally must replace (as it does not do DTS and I have a new BD35) and have been looking at the Sony STRDG920. But I need to know if I can connect the sound card in my pc up to it.

Right now I'm using three 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA adapters to go from my Front, Rear, Center/Sub sound card inputs to the 5.1 analog section of my 635. I see that the 920 has a "Multichannel input" section but instead of "Rear" Left and Right there is a "Surround" Left and Right, and a "Sur Back" Left and Right.

Does anyone have any experience hooking up something like this to a sound card? I'd hate to purchase it and find out it's not what I need. If it will work, then I will likely purchase the STRDG920, for it's price is in my range.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Looks to me you be better off spending 70 bucks and getting a soundcard with digital outputs dude.

Though it will still probably still work, a new card would be best in that situation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 /forum/post/15430134

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

The surround L/R are the side channels of 7.1 and the surround back L/R are the rears. If connecting a 5.1 use the Sur (surround) back. Should work fine.

Thank you, Bob, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I just wanted to be sure.

N8, I like my sound card, and I need a new receiver anyway!

Happy New Years to you both, and thanks!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hope it works for you;

I used 5.1 for gaming and HT and was happy but when I switched to 7.1 I thought I'd use the rear 2 speakers for radio or music while gaming on the remaining 5.1 as my receiver had multi-room capabilities but as soon as I changed from 7.1 to 5.1 in the Creative Labs (Audigy 2ZS) software I discovered that it disables the side speakers instead of the rears so unless I wanted to change all the wiring I was stuck. I'm using Creative's

HT cables to get 7.1 out of an Audigy 2ZS. So I imagine it just depends on how you want to wire it. With the mini-jacks like your using I only got 5.1 from the A2ZS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.