AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This TV has a lot of wonderful options for content. However, my computer has a BluRay player so I don't want to purchase a separate one. I'd like to be able to stream content from my PC's hard-drive or put in a Blu-Ray disk in the PC and watch it on the TV. Is this possible? I know I can copy a movie from my PC on to a USB and play it that way but that doesn't address the BluRay player issue. What are my options? My router shows up as a DNLA device, can I do something to the PC to allow it to share drives that the TV can see on the network?

·
Registered
976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notquitestr8t  /t/1467792/stream-from-pc-to-st60#post_23191113

This TV has a lot of wonderful options for content. However, my computer has a BluRay player so I don't want to purchase a separate one. I'd like to be able to stream content from my PC's hard-drive or put in a Blu-Ray disk in the PC and watch it on the TV. Is this possible? I know I can copy a movie from my PC on to a USB and play it that way but that doesn't address the BluRay player issue. What are my options? My router shows up as a DNLA device, can I do something to the PC to allow it to share drives that the TV can see on the network?

You can run an HDMI cable to it, doesn't get much simpler than that.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Glossing things over hugely: what you want is a media server application to run on your PC, which will stream content from its hard drive to anything on your local network. (Alternatively, if you have a standalone NAS device on your network, there's a high chance it will have some type of DLNA streaming functionality built-in.) There are quite a few of these, which probably makes this more of a straight content streaming issue, though you must answer two questions before diving in:

1. In which media formats are the programs you have on your PC that you want to send to your TV?
  2. What media formats can the TV itself handle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mostly MKV files and some JPG pictures which I believe is handled by the TV since they can be read from USB. The issue is getting it there so you are correct, it's mostly a content streaming issue.

What I don't know is what media server application is compatible with the TV so the TV can see and read the content. It has to be able to see the shared folders and also the shared Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
20,912 Posts
The Blu-Ray player option is out, you wont be able to stream that from your PC to your TV, the best thing to do would by a "cheap" Blu-ray player for when you want to watch on your TV.......

As far as media server there are many many many options.....Take a look at teh HTPC section of the forums for a good start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will have a look. I recently purchased a bluray player for my sister for just under $100 that has all the bells and whistles because they don't have a "smart tv". With all that the ST60 has to offer, I only need the base player so should be able to find one relatively cheaply.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.