Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

guess what? I need some help.

I have a pc in my spare room with all of my MPS on it.

I have this linked to an amp which drives speakers in there and also the kitchen.

I have my main hifi in the front room, and there is also a terminal there linked to the main pc for net access.

what i want to be able to do is to play a cd in the front room, and get it to come out of the spare room pc, and play an mp3 from the spare room through to the front one.

i know that i can link the amps up, but that give me no control and lots of interconnect wires trailing through the flat.

i suppose what i am after is a program that will sit on the main pc and stream audio out over cat 5, and let the person on the terminal choose the trak that they want. and the terminal to be able to take a signal from the main hifi and stream it back over cat 5 to the main pc.

Confused? that makes two of us!!

How do other people manage multi-zoning like this?

cheers,

simon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been looking at something similar too but I thought about a different plan.

the main pc will have a web server with all the mp3s on it. The web server will be used to select the mp3 and starting to play it. The output of the sound card will then be plugged into the amps that will broadcast the sound.

The problem that I have is the following:

Could a pc have multiple sound card and could then be addressed independently?

That I've never found out and I didn't hafve time to think about it.

Hope this help

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can have more than one sound card, so long as you have the int and dma free for it.

this is how you can mix mp3 properly.

how are you presenting the mp3s on the web site?

i want to make it as easy as possible so the other have can play too.

cheers,

s.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unfortunatly I don't have a very good explanation for that. I was thinking developping a client in Java. Since I'm a software engineer, this is a no brainer for me. The program could scan a bunch of directories and present a list that you could multiselect or something like that or even creating playing list that could then be persisted as XML file on the server side. An other possibility I was thinking is to use JSP technology and do an HTML client. with a JSP back end.

Unfortunatly I've never had the time to proceed so the overall topic is still at a conceptual level. I hope I will be able one day to proceed and make it happen.

Regards,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm. I want to do something similar - and I've got something I'm satisfied with ...

I have an HT setup I really like in my living room. I have two noisy computers in my office on the other side of the house. I run Ethernet from my office to my living room where I run a WLAN for a lovely screened laptop I use to surf while I'm in the HT room - its convenient as my girlfriend and I can be surfing and watching TV together without the 61" TV showing tiny lo res video and computer images - I prefer this setup sooooo....

I have 350 CDs (and 200 tapes and 50 LPs ... I'm 31) and I find that it's a real hassle to get up off the couch to change CDs and yet I'm not happy with MPS compared to CDs so... I waited a while and now for modest expenditure I'm going to losslessly compress all my CDs onto a few hard drives and using a digital connector to run the wonderful audio from an old jalopy of a computer to my stereo system. Well aside from the ridiculous price tag none of this is new - but it my mind it is ideal.

Curious yet?

I've got an older PC sitting unused in a closet (who needs 4 computers on at the same time right? 1 *nix FW, 1 win2k workstation, 1 win2k laptop...) - I think it's a 233MHz box which currently has RH 6.0 installed - but not for long. I'll install windoze on it along with an audio card with digital outputs (I have a Turtlebeach that's a couple of years old installed in my workstation - which I only use remotely via VNC [free a la ATT http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ - you guys rule!] over the WLAN - that card should be fine). Next I'll use the Monkey's Audio (thank's Matt!!!) plug-in for Media Jukebox (thanks J. River!!!) and CDDB to rip, store, catalog , index, find and associate cover art and of course search/find/play/queue music!

How much you ask?

First the MonkeysAudio Website will give you some reassuring information. This silly person has gone to the great lengths of producing killer LENSLESS audio compression software. I'm getting about 65% compression rate (that is the file is 35% of its original size) - my CDs are coming in at at about 340-I'M after compression. MonkeysAudio is absolutely free - it also has great information.This guy has really done a class A job.

The PC was free - I got it from work to encourage working while I was at home as well (as opposed to working from home instead of at the office). That was a few years ago and by now they probably don't want it back even if I hadn't considered it a gift :)

The windows license already exists -> I actually buy my software because I can (I wouldn't buy food if I didn't have money - but I would still eat!). I happen to have windows licenses for every win32 since NT 3.51 - no XP yet.

Media Jukebox has both free and pay for parts. I don't currently use the pay for parts -> but I've only just installed it a few days ago, maybe I'll find them compelling once I've been exposed to them a bit. MJ is pretty slick. It's got all the jukebox features I want and a few of the extras I want as well like CDDB support and automatic cover art retrieval (how cool is that!). I have plenty of CDs for which it can't find cover art and it sometimes makes mistakes... I can live with it - the DB it hits will improve over time (or be swapped out when an option presents itself). MJ also supports winamp skins when in its "mini-me" mode.

The closest thing to a missing feature that I've noticed is the lack of integrated lyric finding... I suppose once links or data shows up in CDDB or CDs that's be added or lyrics server operators stop getting hassled. I bet there are still lyrics servers up there (there are tons of little ones) but I don't happen to know of any right now.

digital cable costs some money, but not much. There's a trade off here between length of cable and amount of $ spent to silence your PC - the CPU shouldn't be strained very often.

Finally the big cost - storage. 350 CDs at 375MB = 128GB or roughly $300. I don't need fast drives to serve up 375MB every hour :)

Thanks a fairly fast (Plextor CAV PX-32CSi with "bit-for-bit" audio extraction) CD reader can rip a CD in a few minutes (14x actually minimum with max of 32x). It'll take a while to get 350 CDs done - but I figure if I do it while watching TV I can get 10 done in an hour without much hassle.

As you can probably tell from the length of my reply I am WAY psyched about this. I've been waiting for this day for a while... first realizing how much storage I needed given potentially 660MB CDs and my unwillingness to use lossy compression. Then finding MonkeysAudio and using it with EAC (great ripper) but with slow digital rips (no bit-for-bit). Then bit-for-bit came along and I worked it out to be about $2 per CD for storage cost. Today it's under $1 :) This is new to me as of the last week. I've been drooling as the $1 mark was my "GO" signal.

hope this helps,

ram

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.