AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the SonicBlue website, the streaming capability between the 4500 series and 5000 series models was due to come out in Q1 of this year (which I'm assuming ended in March). I'm guessing the bankruptcy slowed this down some but has there been any indication when this feature might be available? I have a 4508 and 5040 I'd like to be able to stream video between.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mtroy
I'm guessing the bankruptcy slowed this down some but has there been any indication when this feature might be available? I have a 4508 and 5040 I'd like to be able to stream video between.
yup, the bankruptcy must've had the sw engineers on the edge of their seats. there's been recent talk of a software update, so my only (uneducated) guess is that it's coming soon. let's hope so.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
mtroy, I hope your purchasing decisions were made on the existing merits of the machines and not on "vaporware" just in case the update never materializes.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mtroy
I'm guessing the bankruptcy slowed this down some but has there been any indication when this feature might be available? I have a 4508 and 5040 I'd like to be able to stream video between.
As I understand it from various folks I talk to and posts here, the upcoming update is 1) for 5xxx series only, 2) comes with a new guide format (all software using them will have to be updated - DVA V2.1 is already to go :) and 3) will not fix the inter-show sharing feature. That was said to be in a yet undetermined future release.

I have no specific basis to state the following, but I would be very surprised if 4xxx/5xxx compatibility is ever done now. The new company is already going to support old users via providing guides, but from their standpoint, the 4xxx is a dead product (i.e. not sold for a year) and they will no doubt want to concentrate on the 5xxx and getting folks to buy those (i.e. new features). I believe there is also a more "outside"/unlikely chance that we'll only see a few small updates for the 4xxx series.

Whereas my comment about the 4xxx/5xxx is based on my hunches and little else, the comment about the 4xxxs not getting any more updates (except for minor bug fix stuff) is just wild speculation based on thinking about business issues. If they do decide that 4xxx/5xxx will never happen, I'd say my second entirely hypothetical scenario is a lot more likely.

I believe that if updating the 4xxx were not much more complicated than the 5xxx, it wouldn't be a biggie and right now, the software probably isn't too terribly different. But as time goes on, the gulf will likely widen.

Just in case the above is not clear - this is all tea leaf reading and not based one iota on supportable fact :)

Personally, having a 4080 and a 5040 and being the author of DVA, I really do hope they eventually bridge the gap, but I'm not holding my breath or making plans for it...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My leaves look different. They say the development for the 4000 file sharing should be mostly done already and it wouldn't be worth the bad press to reneg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.