AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but it seems like a great place. Basically, I'm curious about which streaming device has the best/largest buffer memory, if that even makes sense? I stream films on netflix and vudu, but it's really frustrating when a film stops & starts due to buffering, which I'm sure everyone can appreciate. I'd love to stream films on a device that acts like a computer, endlessly buffering the film, so I could press play, press pause, make dinner and then sit down to a half/fully buffered film. It seems that all devices do is buffer the new few minutes at best, regardless of how long you leave it on pause, which is pathetic.

My experience though is limited to a couple of devices, so there might be devices out there with a large buffer memory, but I don't know if this is even possible (I've no idea how the tech side of buffering and encryption works with streaming devices.) I'm open to any device, be it a dedicated device like the Roku, or a blu-ray player or a PS3. I just don't want it to be a computer itself. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Rob

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I learned that the buffer does not really make so much of a difference anymore. For example the PS3 on Netflix according to my tests has a 4 minute buffer for SD and HD content while Super HD has 2 1/2 minutes yet the streams will at least half the time start out at really bad quality even forcing me to sometimes restart it so it will ramp up to HD. The Roku 3 also starts out bad at least half the time while the SD and HD content has a 3 minute buffer and Super HD has a 1 to 1/2 minute buffer.

The ATV3 and Chromecast with both a 1 1/2 to 2 minute buffer for SD and HD content and a 45 second to 1 minute buffer for Super HD content yet most of the time they start in HD or if they start out in SD they ramp up to HD in less than 10 seconds comparied to the PS3 and Roku3 which can take over a minute.

Of course on the PC using the Silverlight plugin the buffer for HD content 720p as best as it can do is 4 to 5 minutes. It also starts out most of the time in SD not low def SD and ramps up in 30 seconds. The Windows 8 app however takes forever to buffer starts out bad and the buffer which I can't tell seems small.

Also I notice this on all my devices except the S5100 BluRay player whenever a program takes a long time to buffer 90% of the time it starts out at that low def 240p garbage and takes longer to ramp up yet when it buffers quicker it starts out in HD really makes no seance. The S5100 which has the old more reliable better GUI takes longer to buffer but most of the time it starts out in HD or if it is SD it ramps up in less than 10 seconds. Also the buffer is a big as the PS3 yet it starts out better and ramps up to HD unlike the PS3 which requires multiple restarts.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice  /t/1525000/streaming-device-with-the-largest-buffer-memory#post_24548551

The ATV3 and Chromecast with both a 1 1/2 to 2 minute buffer for SD and HD content and a 45 second to 1 minute buffer for Super HD content

Reddice - please explain what your tests are - if it is the flashing light on your router as you have posted before I will take all of this with a pinch of salt.

You have the Merlin SW - try playing the 11 minute example short while looking at the real time bandwidth on any of your devices and you will easily see what size the buffer is.

With my Apple TV the Example Short is completely downloaded in under 8 minutes while playing at 5800 Kbps - the last 3+ minutes is playing out of the buffer.

Robgreen999 unfortunately none of the embedded devices will buffer either Netflix or Vudu the way you are looking for. Evidently there is Vudu PC app that can download content - I have never used it and other members have reported issues with it.

The only download service (that I know of) that does what you describe is iTunes on an Apple TV or PC. iTunes content downloads the entire show/movie you are watching to the 8GB AppleTV memory - even on a slow connection you will get the same quality - you will just have to wait for it to be ready.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided  /t/1525000/streaming-device-with-the-largest-buffer-memory/0_100#post_24550196

Evidently there is Vudu PC app that can download content - I have never used it and other members have reported issues with it.

The PS3's VUDU player gives you the option to download titles into files, as does Xbox Video running on a 360 (haven't tried it on my Xbox One). You can download or stream most Amazon titles to PCs (though you cannot download as Prime); the Amazon player on TiVos is only capable of downloading to files (no Prime).

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I understand what you are saying but the example short is a poor example of how long the buffer is. I too on my ATV3 get around 2 minutes or longer because the last few minutes is just static test patterns which means less data needed. I also noticed it on The 4400 show the end credits are around 2 minutes long so the buffer is around that long too. When you watch a program with short credits or extra fast action content at the end the buffer is really 1 minute for Super HD content at least on the ATV3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts