2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the same lines of the other topic regarding streaming DIVX to ReplayTV,

does anyone know of a simple way to stream a DVD to a ReplayTV unit through

dvarchive?

·
Registered
197 Posts
While not a simple task, it is possible. But one would have to ask the question - WHY???

Here are some general steps (I'm not an expert, so I will not go into detail)

1) Rip the DVD to your hard disk.

2) convert the VOB files to a MPEG system stream. (Some ripping tools may allow you to combine this function with the ripping function above)

3) convert the audio track to MPEG2 audio format (use the RTV bitrate)

4) Use RTVTools (RTVConvert?) to generate the .ndx and .evt files

5) Import the files in to DVArchive using its import function.

Not a trivial task, but not impossible either.

Good luck,

T

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If your time is worth anything at all to you... Just take $40 down to the nearest Wal-Mart to buy a cheap DVD player and hook it up to the TV that you want to watch the DVD on.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know my wife has given up on using DVDs as an active medium. We just rip our DVDs, convert them, and keep them on the hard drive for easy viewing. Once you have a system, it goes pretty quick. You would do this for the same reason you would have an audio jukebox for the CDs that you own.

I don't know if this counts as "streaming from DVD" though.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
So then just hook up a DVD player to the Replay, and do a Manual record of the line-in while playing back the DVD... Then download to DVA or stream between RTV's in your house. Theoretically, the RTV is Macrovision compliant so it should stop you from breaking too many laws... (assuming that the DVD is protected...)

----

EDIT: Above sugguestion is in response to original post's querry of how to get a DVD recorded onto a replay. Not as a response to Belia6's post about ripping the DVD's - sorry about any confusion...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Belial6
I've done that too. It works great.
Couldn't agree with you more - opens up a whole new realm of "stupid home-theatre tricks" for the Live-concert DVDs and LaserDiscs that I own...

Once recorded by the Replay - the DVD becomes a Replay show - basically no different than any other in the Replay Guide - with all the same options and in-house streaming capabilities as any other (IVS won't send Macro-vision protected files, but then IVS isn't what's meant/understood as "streaming" anyway...).

If it is stored on one RTV/DVA and viewed on another (all units located on the same LAN / in the same "house") by sending the show/MPEG via Ethernet in real-time from "one units disk" to the "other units decoder/video out" - it's "Streamed". period. Original recording source/input is irrelevant.

(A/the more accurate/official/definitive description of "Streamed Show" may be found in the Manual/FAQ or in other threads.)

So, Wunderdrug, in your original post - was something different than that meant by the phrase " stream a DVD to a ReplayTV unit through

dvarchive"? Because a DVD isn't any different that Sesame Street recorded off of the RF tuner in those regards...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.