AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking for a media streaming device that's capable of displaying subtitles from an SRT file through my home network. This seems like it should be quite simple but I've spent months looking for something and already been through 3 devices: A Sony SMP-N200, a WDTV Live, and Samsung BD-F5700. Apparently, none of these devices are capable of streaming the subtitles from an SRT file. I'm positive my files are setup and named correctly as they work fine when viewing through local storage like USB, just not through my Synology NAS. Oddly enough, my LG TV can do it just fine with it's built in smart TV features - it's the only device I've seen capable of doing this.

It's not exactly a popular topic so it's hard to find info like this in existing forum threads or Amazon reviews, etc. Does anyone know of a media player that can handle this? I'm ready to return my WDTV Live and try something else but it seems hopeless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws  /t/1522478/streaming-external-srt-subtitles-via-dlna-can-anything-do-this#post_24480707

What makes you think it's the player and not the server causing this?

Well I assume it's not problem with the server since everything works just fine with the smart app on one of my TVs. I also searched for info about those specific devices and it seems others have the same issue.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts
Just to check: your TV is accessing the server via DLNA and not SMB?

If nothing else, it is easy to embed SRT subtitles in MKV (I use mkvmerge) and most DLNA clients should be able to display them then.

-Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1522478/streaming-external-srt-subtitles-via-dlna-can-anything-do-this#post_24480864

Just to check: your TV is accessing the server via DLNA and not SMB?

If nothing else, it is easy to embed SRT subtitles in MKV (I use mkvmerge) and most DLNA clients should be able to display them then.

-Bill

Yes, the TV also uses DLNA. I've heard about mkvmerge and embedding subtitles but I have tens of thousands of files (many entire TV series, etc) so I think this would require more time than I'd like to invest. I assume there must be some hardware based solution, I just don't know what it is yet. Something that compares to the smart app on my LG 55LV9500 with a better interface would be ideal. I'm considering the KDLinks HD700 next, or some of the Android based devices, but I'm 0 for 3 so far, so starting to lose hope.

·
Registered
467 Posts
what are you using as a Server for your files? When using Serviio and PS3MediaServer as DLNA servers, with my Sony 55HX750 & 40W5100 TV's, and PS3 as players, I get the external SRT subs displayed with my movies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture  /t/1522478/streaming-external-srt-subtitles-via-dlna-can-anything-do-this#post_24497145

what are you using as a Server for your files? When using Serviio and PS3MediaServer as DLNA servers, with my Sony 55HX750 & 40W5100 TV's, and PS3 as players, I get the external SRT subs displayed with my movies.

Good to know, thanks for the response. I'm using a Synology DS413J with the stock Synology media server app. Since it works for my TV but not other devices, I assume the problem lies within the streaming device, but perhaps I will try Serviio.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsprinkle  /t/1522478/streaming-external-srt-subtitles-via-dlna-can-anything-do-this#post_24499486

Good to know, thanks for the response. I'm using a Synology DS413J with the stock Synology media server app. Since it works for my TV but not other devices, I assume the problem lies within the streaming device, but perhaps I will try Serviio.
What I've found with trying Nero Media Home, Serviio, PS3 Mediaserver and others with my TV's and bluray players (LG BD390 and BD570), and even PC's and tablets... if the DLNA sever doesn't have the right profile for your device, it wont work properly.

The Serviio people did have to help tweak the profile for my Sony 40W5100 TV in order for it to play all files right.

You might want to check in forums that deal with the Synology NAS's about its built in server. Or you can try Serviio on your Synology -> http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/25/serviio-syno-package/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts