Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post to this forum so if I am doing something wrong, please understand.

I have Snapstream and ShowShifter installed on a WinXP box. I want to be able to record a TV show and import it into DVArchive for playback on my ReplayTV. I have seen many articles about going the other way but I am stuck. I have played with rtvconvert to attempt to create a "Repay valid" mpeg file but have been unsuccesful unless running the file through TMPGEnc (which does not have a batch mode).

Is there a MGEG-2 encoder I can license that will allow either SnapStream or Showshifter to write an MPG file that I can run though rtvconvert?

ANY thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think this question has been asked many times, as it is something many of us would like to do. DVArchive seems the most capable of the utilities to communicate between PC and RTV, and the answer that I seem to recall the author giving on several occasions is that there is no support in the RTV transfer protocol to support streaming back to the RTV.

I have seen hints that there were attempts to make a DVArchive-like program that would emulate IVS to acheive the desired result, but as these run into legal problems, they either have not been pursued or completed.

Tim W.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFussy
I think this question has been asked many times, as it is something many of us would like to do. DVArchive seems the most capable of the utilities to communicate between PC and RTV, and the answer that I seem to recall the author giving on several occasions is that there is no support in the RTV transfer protocol to support streaming back to the RTV.
DVArchive already supports *streaming* shows back to a ReplayTV and has for a long, long time. What it doesn't support is *moving* shows to the ReplayTV (i.e. permanently transferring a show from your PC to your ReplayTV). In any case, if I understand him correctly, the OP is asking how to get his Snapstream/Showshifter recordings into an MPEG-2 format suitable for streaming back to his ReplayTV with DVA (after running through rtvconvert, of course). This is something that is very doable, though it requires some work.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdonth
I have played with rtvconvert to attempt to create a "Repay valid" mpeg file but have been unsuccesful unless running the file through TMPGEnc (which does not have a batch mode).

Is there a MGEG-2 encoder I can license that will allow either SnapStream or Showshifter to write an MPG file that I can run though rtvconvert?
What format does SnapStream/Showshifter normally use for recordings? Can you configure them to write a file in the following format (or close enough): "MPEG-2 480x480 29.97fps CQ_VBR 50, Layer-2 48000Hz 192kbps"? If so, then you might be able to just run the file through rtvconvert and import it into DVA. I think you are saying these programs do not allow that and are asking if there is a plugin/codec for them that will. That is probably a question best asked in the forums for those products, as they should be more familiar with the limitations of the software.

BTW, TMPGEnc should work also, and it *does* seem to have a batch mode. Check out the "File | Batch encode" menu option.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
This is something that is very doable, though it requires some work.
It's doable and works fine for some mpegs, obviously works very well for converting 4K mpegs. However, a while back I tried the rtvedit/rtvconvert process on several VOB filesets (from DVDs and converted to single mpeg2 via womble first) and while I got them all to stream to my 5K RTVs there was always an audio/video sync problem. At the time I narrowed down the culprit to be rtvconvert causing the sync problem. After rtvconvert if I de-muxed and re-muxed through Womble the sync problem would go away but then that "undid" the rtvconvert magic and I could no longer stream back to RTV (but played fine and in sync through several software media players). So this is definately possible and works for certain source mpegs, but leads to sync problems for others.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
DVArchive already supports *streaming* shows back to a ReplayTV and has for a long, long time. What it doesn't support is *moving* shows to the ReplayTV (i.e. permanently transferring a show from your PC to your ReplayTV). In any case, if I understand him correctly, the OP is asking how to get his Snapstream/Showshifter recordings into an MPEG-2 format suitable for streaming back to his ReplayTV with DVA (after running through rtvconvert, of course). This is something that is very doable, though it requires some work.
You're right, of course. I misread/misinterpreted his question. Streaming back to the RTV is something I do frequently ... Moving it back is what I WANT to be able to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.