AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share and learn info on streaming media from Mac OS x to Ps3. New firmware for Ps3..1.8 allows streaming of media from DNLA compliant devices.(yay!)

I believe you need a DNLA compliant server app that runs on Mac. So far i've found eyeconnect at elgato website

has a good 30 day demo.claims to stream your movies/music and pictures folders from your mac to upnp devices

and Allegro, although that seems to be just for music.

VLC has a lot of streaming options, but not sure how to configure those options yet. VLC is a pretty robust app tho.

I want to stream video , and hopefully (.avi files in the future) to my ps3.

Anyone know more about what server software we can run to take advantage of ps3 media streaming in 1.80 update? Or anyone got results they care to share as update comes online!?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
meanwhile, a Mac OSX related question.

Is there a way to download the PS3 system updates using the Mac and then get them to the PS3 using a cd-rom ?

It looks like it should be possible using a usb pen type of thing, which I don't have and then I would have to buy an adpaptor for the PS3.

By the way, I obviously tried tonight but of course the link on the PS3 web page for downloading the update (1.7) was not working.

In case you wondered, I don't have great internet access where I have the ps3, that is why I am looking for a way to do the update differently. I could simply take the ps3 to my apt (2 floors up!!!) where I have internet access (wireless) and do it there, but it's just a bit of a pain and should be avoidable. Also, if I had to do it this way, could I unplug the ps3 and connect it to my apple cinema display (DVI), just to get the update done ? would that work.

thx for any help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eyeconnect works great for streaming

itunes music, includes playlists, (need to check .m4a). Great

works great for iphoto too, flawless and fast.

Not for video, have confirmed this with other mac users..including mp4 Ps3 format.

it's a great start..finally it's beginning to look like a media center!

Hanven't tried twonkyvison yet!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use 360connect to stream to my 360 and it works flawlessly. Those guys should come out with PS3connect! Big thing will be to get videos streaming. I use that and music streaming more than photo streaming.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
EyeConnect and Twonkyvision are probably your 2 best options right now wrt DLNA-compliant OS X apps.

I have eyeconnect on my macs at home, and was looking forward to trying them out (I'm at a conference out of town until Saturday, unfortunately. So I can't check to confirm the lack of video streaming.). I've found Eyeconnect somewhat quirky in the past, and have almost bought Twonkyvision about a hundred times.

Looks like this ps3 update will be the impetus I needed to purchase Twonkyvision.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a PPC G5. Tried out TwonkyVision last night. Seemed to work well enough. All music and photos worked well, but none of the MPG4 videos I had are formatted for the PS3. I did have a .TS file that worked nicely though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an iMac core 2 duo. As for the Twonkyvision, is there a setup and user guide that is easy to follow? I have never streamed media before and that is one of the main reasons I bought the PS3 in the first place...finally it seems to be able to do that. Do I need to create separate folders that Twonkyvision can recognize, and then does the Twonkyvision program need to be running on my iMac before my PS3 recognizes it? I have an airport extreme base station for my wireless network as well (802.11n). Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've installed Twonkyvision on my Intel Mac Mini core 2 duo, they have a 30 day free trial but I can't figure out how to configure my Mini so that PS3 can see it

I also have 3 Sonos zone players atached to a NAS drive and the PS3 is picking them up as media centers, so that's all good.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Once I installed TwonkyVision and restarted, it said the item in my startup folder needed to have it's permissions fixed (or something like that). When that was done, it automatically indexes all the photos/music/video on your computer.

When I went back to the PS3. A TwonkyVision icon was in the XMB under the new "search for network" icon. From the Twonky icon, there were three sub folders. Music/Photos/Video. You can view all or select a specific folder.

So other than installing the app there is no specific setup (at least for me). Since the "mediaserver" is in the startup folder it's always running and should be found on the PS3 when you start it up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have all my media files saved on a USB external drive connected to my iMac. If I connect the external drive directly to my airport extreme base station, do I need to install Twonkyvision (or something like it) to access the contents of the external drive from my PS3?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz /forum/post/0

Once I installed TwonkyVision and restarted, it said the item in my startup folder needed to have it's permissions fixed (or something like that). When that was done, it automatically indexes all the photos/music/video on your computer.

When I went back to the PS3. A TwonkyVision icon was in the XMB under the new "search for network" icon. From the Twonky icon, there were three sub folders. Music/Photos/Video. You can view all or select a specific folder.

So other than installing the app there is no specific setup (at least for me). Since the "mediaserver" is in the startup folder it's always running and should be found on the PS3 when you start it up.

Mine showed up for three seconds or so then disappered
How is your home network setup?

Have you been able to stream Xvid or better yet .vob files ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Guys...need a little help. I have an Airport base station hooked up in the living room. Anyone know how to get it to accept UpnP?

I've looked though all the Admin utilities with no help and it is not recognizing the connection. Once I disconnected the PS3 from it and directly to the wall, it recognized the other servers. I'd like to reconnect it again, but I'll need to figure out how to allow the passthrough.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried Twonkyvision and Eyeconnect with my iMac, the PS3 found them initially, but I was denied access to the actual files. Turned off my firewall, and still a no go. Now, neither Twonkyvision nor Eyeconnect can be located by the PS3, although the Eyeconnect seems to "see" the PS3. I was stoked...now I'm frustrated. If anyone knows of a tutorial, I would appreciate it, because I'm ticked off right now!

·
Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdigital /forum/post/0

What is upnp anyway?

UPNP is Universal Plug And Play. My PS3 is hardwired and haven't had time to try vob files yet or try much else. I do have one xvid video on my computer but it wouldn't play.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
video streams have to be mpeg1 or mpeg 2 files..it works perfectly if you have those..!

another format, guess i can bin my .mp4 files

Os X eyeconnect and twonlyvision tested and confirmed working

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.