AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big time neophyte when it comes to this stuff, so please be gentle. I record some of my favorite HD sporting events from my DirecTV to my laptop to an external hard drive using a Hauppauge PVR. I recorded most in MPEG-2 TS format. I would like to edit them to remove commercials and be able to stream them through a Dune player. Basically, my question is . . . how in the world do I do that? I've done my research but, again, I don't understand much of these kinds of things. Is MPEG-2 TS an acceptable format or do I need to convert it to something else? I want to keep the nest quality possible, including what I believe has been recorded in 5.1. What programs (preferably free) should I use for conversion, editing, etc.? I have both PC and Mac, and intend to get a NAS for storage and streaming to my Dune. Any help, advice, or even references to good reading would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenSteele  /t/1421201/streaming-hauppauge-pvr-mpeg-2-ts-recordings-via-dune/0_100#post_22237754

I record some of my favorite HD sporting events from my DirecTV to my laptop to an external hard drive using a Hauppauge PVR. I recorded most in MPEG-2 TS format. I would like to edit them to remove commercials and be able to stream them through a Dune player. Basically, my question is . . . how in the world do I do that?
Actually, what you want to do is very simple, you just have to pay a little money for the right piece of software to do it -- that being Video ReDo TV Suite H.264 ($100). If you do this a lot it is worth every penny. Go to their web site and read up on it but basically it is made for editing TV recordings by any number of devices in any number of formats. .TS is just a transport stream container format -- my Silicon Dust HD Homerun records to .TS format. Video Redo will read it and edit it and save it to whatever container format you want without having to reencode the MPEG-2 or H.264/AVC of the original recording. For cutting out commercials, it has an automatic commercial detect feature that, once tuned, works amazingly well and a batch mode for all operations. I typically run a batch of recordings through commercial detect then proof each one -- it takes me less than 10 minutes to edit/save a 1 hr show the way I want. You can save the edited file as .TS or .m2ts or mpg or MKV or .tivo, etc -- I personally prefer .m2ts because all my recordings are HD/5.1 and with .m2ts I can easily burn them to a BD-R if I want to save them. It's very fast on a decent PC.

Of course all these formats will play on a Dune. I use a media player myself.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
+1 for VideoRedo

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Is there a Mac alternative to Video ReDoTV Suite H.264?

Looks great.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you there. I know nothing about Mac's or Mac software.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1421201/streaming-hauppauge-pvr-mpeg-2-ts-recordings-via-dune#post_22239111

Is there a Mac alternative to Video ReDoTV Suite H.264?

Looks great.

No-OSX sucks donkey balls when it comes to working with MPEG2-TS streams from broadcast (air/sat/cable) sources containing MPEG2/H.264 video.

I have a MacPro as my primary system, using windows exclusively up until 2 years ago, and have found that I need windows for VideoReDo.

dont bother with EyeTV's editor or the Toast crap. EyeTV's editor is not frame accurate and you cannot easily get it to recognize your recordings anyways.

Toast is just a big steaming pile of crap. The only usefull feature is their Tivo Transfer app.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts