AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to successfully stream HD content to the PS3 without any stutter? I can do regular SD and dvd movies but my HD content won't work.

I am using the D-Link Xtreme N Giabit router DIR-655. I know people will say hardwire it, but want to know if anyone has been successful streaming HD wirelessly?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I've been able to do it when the PC streaming it is hardwired to the router, with the PS3 wireless.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's being done. I was hoping for some answers from this thread, I was going to make one of the same.

How do you use UPnP from a PC or notebook to the PS3 and out HDMi to a display?

From what I understand, you can do it wifi, but it's not a good way of doing it.

But help me with the UPnP thing. What do I need to be able to do it, software, router?

I picked up a netgear wireless N wnr2000 router that I haven't set up. Do I need to do that first? Right now I'm working with a LinkSYS wireless B router.

And I just(nOOb) got my PS3.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have send HD content to my ps3 consistently, but the source is wired to my router. Having a wireless server (PC) to the ps3 on the same wireless bandwidth will be a problem.

Chances are your wireless connection is not consistent enough or there are neighbors using wifi interfering with you. All these are normal things and not within your control. Hence the request that you wire your ps3. You can wire your ps3 easily with powerline networking products like the Linksys PLK200. Otherwise wiring it is your other choice.

-Splints

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hear ya splints, wifi isn't reliable. People say that wifi isn't the right way to do it. UPnP is supposedly the way to go. Check this out;

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Multime...nkyMedia.shtml

Does this seem like it will not only stream video using UPnP, but will make use of the PS3's HDD for storing video, photo, and music files from a mac PC?

Do I still need a router? It says MPEG4 video?

Comments?

Edit: Oh, and there's also MediaTomb, which is free.

http://mediatomb.cc/

I'd sure like to get this worked out. I should have my PS3 up and going later today.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wouldn't give up on streaming HD content wirelessly just yet, if you can invest a little money into it-it becomes doable.

I've hooked up bridges to equipment before so they can become wireless and if your PS3 is not near the router and you don't want to run some cable installing a faster bridge might be the way to go.

Linksys Dual Band Wireless N Gaming Adapter

Although G is not fast enough for HD wirelessly N certainly can do the trick and it can help you cut out some interferance.

I have heard of people turning a old router into a bridge/extender and do not see why that wouldn't be an option either if you have some other capable equipment around. This could also be very handy if you have other CE devices that you would want to hook up to the internet or network with (Direct TV reciever, Xbox360, Wii, Tivo, HD-DVD etc etc). So if you already have a wireless N router, buying another wireless N router and placing it near your equipment and then plugging them in through Ethernet would give you N speed once configured to be a access point/bridge.

If you already have a wireless N infrastructure in your home attaching this to your PS3 will make your PS3 Wireless N. If not you might already want to consider the benifits of going to wireless N.

Now of course you will have to make sure that whatever equipment your connecting to a wireless N router is also transmitting at N speeds or you will just be back to G again.

Hope your finances will allow you to stay wireless, its a convience we all take for granted until we can't do it.

Dregun

·
Registered
628 Posts
I couldn't get it to run smooth even with computer hard wired to router. I just hit copy on PS3 and watch it once it is done copying. Then I delete after watching it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts